Friday, March 23, 2007

Tailored for expats

Being tagged can either be tedious or great fun. But, either way, tags can be quite illuminating. I've been tagged by chocolate girl, an expat in Germany. It's a great tag and one that most expats should enjoy being tagged with. And since it's one I think expats should enjoy, I'll actually being tagging someone with it. You'll only find out who the unfortunate soul is after reading my answers.

Name 5 things you love in your new country:
  • The ‘different-ness’ of the place that gives me a constant feeling of being on holiday
  • The continuity between a long, glorious history and a very modern present
  • Quirky, interesting shops dotted all over the city
  • Fresh produce markets
  • Great public transport and bicyles
Name 4 things that you miss from your native country:
  • Blue skies and warm weather
  • Feeling completely at home
  • My children
  • The feeling of being in Africa
Name 3 things that annoy you a bit (or much) in your new country:
  • The way the Dutch pour beer
  • Strange electrical connections and not enough of them (maybe that’s just my flat)
  • Over-crowdedness , both with locals and tourists
Name 2 things that surprise you (or surprised you in the beginning) in your new country:
  • How tall so many people are
  • How wet and windy it is
Name 1 thing that you would miss terribly in your new country, if you had to leave it:
  • How cosmopolitan it is
The unfortunate soul? Well, there are six of them:
My son arrives in about 10 hour's time. I feel like the proverbial kid in a candy store!

14 Comments:

Blogger andrea said...

I read somewhere that the Dutch are the world's tallest people. I belong there! As a 6' tall, blonde woman I'd be just another face in the crowd. I remember how different it felt being in Copenhagen after spending a year in a Greek town that was not a tourist destination. I *was* the ethnic mix (my husband could pass for Greek with his sunglasses on).

'Course, I'd rather be in Africa, too...

2:14 am  
Anonymous kyknoord said...

I also have a love / hate relationship with tags, but that's not important right now. Exactly how do the Dutch pour beer?

5:40 am  
Blogger BlondebutBright said...

Thanks for the tag! You've given me something to write about today.

Have a great time with your son!

9:17 am  
Blogger Dawn said...

Thanks for the tag, my china! Your wish is my command. Make great memories with your son.

6:16 pm  
Blogger Bill said...

Just a thought, but shouldn't you be adding a Dutch flag to your 'Living and work places' section? Cheers!

6:40 pm  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

andrea: You don’t have to be in Africa because you are constantly making Africa.

kyknoord: A glass of beer is poured with almost as much froth as it’s possible to make in a glass after which a lot of it is scraped off with a flat stick-like thing.

It then gets served to you, still with lots of froth but only about 80% full of beer.

BlondebutBright: Thanks for doing it. It was interesting reading your take on being in the Netherlands.

Dawn: I love it when a woman does what I say.

Bill: You’re quite right, of course. My omission to do so was also pointed out by a friend and I keep meaning to do it. It takes time for me to effect such complicated things! :-)

11:56 am  
Blogger Ariel said...

Oh this sounds v exciting indeed... tell us more!

1:48 pm  
Blogger Anjou Wu said...

You're a very good sport - and always fascinating!

5:24 pm  
Blogger Schokolade Madchen said...

Yes, I have that constant feeling of being on holiday as well...how long do you think it will last?

6:48 pm  
Blogger Terri said...

I also noticed the height of the Dutch when I was in Amsterdam. Also, how many of them are really good-looking. Mind you I was coming from Ireland where the folk were not blessed with too much beauty, bless their hearts...
Have a great time with your son!!!

7:53 pm  
Anonymous edvard moonke said...

I think if I lived in Amsterdam, the thing I would miss terribly if I had to leave would be the rijksmuseum...

11:36 pm  
Blogger rhino75 said...

Done it!! Finally. Thanks for tagging me and I hope you're having a brilliant time with your son.

1:13 pm  
Blogger Minge said...

You fascinate me.

5:42 pm  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

Ariel: More about what?

Anjou Wu: I wish that I found myself fascinating.

Schokolade Madchen: I wonder about that sometimes. I suspect the feeling will wear off in a few months but that it will return unannounced every now and again.

Terri: Some of the Irish (men and women) are really stunning! But, maybe the proportion is much lower than here.

edvard moonke: The Rijksmuseum is undergoing major renovations so much of it is out of bounds at the moment.

rhino75: And a very good job of it you did too! We are having a great time but it is odd (as in unusual) to be experiencing paternal worries associated with him being out late at night on his own. I imagine that I’ll get used to that soon enough.

Minge: Um, that’s two of you who find me fascinating. I think it’s meant to be a compliment. Thanks. :-)

11:04 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home