Saturday, March 17, 2007

I came, I drank, I went.

I came:
I almost didn’t - I very nearly wasn’t allowed to board the Nottingham flight at Schipol. Blame that on me leaving the flat late, the tram breaking down, and a delayed train. It’s really not that pleasant plonking yourself down next to a fellow passenger, huffing and puffing, dripping sweat everywhere. Less pleasant for the fellow passenger, of course. Mike put me up even though he was already tripping on ‘Shaggy Blog Stories’ adrenaline. Thanks, Mike. Despite the adrenaline, he looked just as he did when I saw him in Amsterdam a few weeks ago.

I drank:
We met up with several friends at the Lord Roberts. It wasn’t a particularly late night but both of us felt the effects of beer on us in the morning. A few hours later, after several cups of tea and a slice of toast, we were in the café at the Broadway Cinema, the venue of Nottingham’s first blogmeet. Thanks for organising it, Mike and Lisa. A very successful event, in my opinion.

I wasn’t the only international guest as Rob had travelled all the way from north of the border. Besides Siobhan, everyone else was local: Lisa, Mike, James, Michelle, Neil, David, Sarah, Lord Bargain and Alex. Most of us had not met before but we got on surprisingly well. The topics of conversation ranged from gap years to local politics to oiled Nubians. More beer was consumed. No food was eaten. Well, not by me even though the place serves food that is more than acceptable.

The pink contingent (a disproportionately large one) accompanied by our favourite honorary pink lady, Michelle, decamped to the Lord Roberts. Lots more beer. Still no food. Apparently, I got rather drunk even though I succeeded in not embarrassing myself. Had I not been taken home by D, a man known to be quite a dab hand with a hammer, I’d probably have done a good job of embarrassing myself later on that night.

I returned to Mike’s to get changed and pick up my stuff before we went to Michelle’s for brunch. Ah, at long last, food!! Food, glorious food! Thanks, Michelle. No beer but lots of Bloody Marys and Bucks Fizz. Red wine too! Thanks again, Michelle.

Back to the Lord Roberts for a last pint with Alan. Make that two pints. Oh, and another half, please.

I went:
I almost didn’t - I missed the last bus to the airport. That bloody bus driver wouldn’t wait even though I was only a minute late. He drove past with a dismissive wave of his hand. Bastard!

Thank god for taxis! Mike, James, et al probably thought the same as I’d have been spending the night with one of them had it not been for the taxi.

10 Comments:

Blogger Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Excellent review - it sounds as if you had a fab visit compromised only by dodgy transport!

5:30 pm  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

Thanks Lisa, I did. However, I wish that I'd been more attentive at the blogmeet but with such a short time there, I had to catch up with various friends.

Let me know when you have the next blogmeet and I'll try to be there again.

5:57 pm  
Blogger Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Attentive? But you were one of the centres of attention?!

Don't worry, any further meetings I will endeavour to be more proactive myself on invites.

6:14 pm  
Anonymous edvard moonke said...

vini, bibi, recepi! (I'm sure that's not right...)

pity I couldn't make it... ah well there's always next time!

9:21 pm  
Blogger Sarah said...

Sorry we arrived late (my fault entirely) and in the middle of a conversation, which made introductions a little tardy...

It was a pleasure to meet you though - hopefully for longer next time (buses and planes permitting). Your invitation to pop next door was not ignored - I'm afraid that the footie fan in our party had the urge to watch the end of a game elsewhere - after which we were lucky to be compus mentis enough to find our way to the taxi rank, never mind another pub.

11:09 pm  
Blogger JP said...

You're not to be trusted young man...but then, we knew that already.

Great to see you and good luck with the royal visit.

xxx

3:43 pm  
Blogger J. David Zacko-Smith said...

It sounds like you had a nice - though slightly complicated - visit! Wonderful!

5:47 pm  
Blogger LiVEwiRe said...

Sounds like you had quite the busy schedule! Lots of going here and there, drinks to consume, people to talk with - but a cranky bus driver. Well, sounds like you pulled it off quite nicely.

4:28 am  
Blogger Schokolade Madchen said...

Gotcha! You're it!!

4:58 pm  
Blogger Rob said...

It was wonderful to meet you, and I look forward to the next time.

2:38 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home