Monday, February 12, 2007

Template-tweaking

I'm tired of this blog's fussy background so I'm tweaking the template a bit.

So, if you notice odd things happening with the formatting, you'll know why. Once I hit on something I like, I'll leave it there but I'll be expecting comments about how it looks and whether it's an improvement on the one you're used to or not.

UPDATE: I've incorporated some suggestions made such as making the blog fit into the display size of lower resolution monitors. I've also done a bit of work in getting the posts to display on a semi-transparent background. Unfortunately, due to deficiencies with Internet Explorer, I can't release it just yet. There may be a work-around but it's quite techy stuff that may be beyond me. If you're interested in seeing how it works with Firefox, have a look here.

I quite like the look of it, what do you think?

UPDATE (contd.)
If I ever manage to get round the transparency problem with .png files for IE prior to IE7, I'll do something about it. For the time being, the transparent background will display as grey for earlier versions of IE.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Cristina said...

Looks fab!!!! The page opened quicker than it used to - before it would take some time to download all of the pages contents, but now.... it was ZAP and there it was.
Love the background pixie as well. So when can we come over? ;)

5:54 pm  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

Glad you like it, cristina. I made a change prior to you seeing it based on something Mike suggested. I'm still not sure that I like the background to the text - it looks very grey.

The background pic is taken about 30 sec walk from my front door.

You can come over whenever you want.

8:24 pm  
Blogger rhino75 said...

I am definitely liking the Dutch theme - but, like you, I think the grey lacks a little oomph...bravo, nevertheless ;)

10:25 pm  
Anonymous frog with a blog said...

oh nice! I really like the picture and the transparent header. Looking really classy! There is something disturing with the grey background of the text body though... I don't know what it is. I feel I'd like to see the whole thing looking transparent even though I know I might make it too difficult to read. Is it possible to see the rest of the picture in the text bar without transparency, if you see what I mean.

11:35 pm  
Blogger mike said...

It's just fractionally too wide for the screen of my home PC at present... but otherwise it's looking good, and having one large background image makes a nice change from other blog designs.

11:56 pm  
Anonymous kyknoord said...

When you get down to brass tacks, your readers are drawn by the content, not the template. You could probably get away with background pictures of doggy-do should you be so inclined.

6:57 am  
Blogger Caroline said...

Don't do the doogy-do I'd leave you alone - I can smell that stuff just from the sight of it!

5:25 pm  
Blogger Bill said...

Hi Alan

I happened to notice your 'test' blog (at least that's what I presume it it) when scanning Technorati and must say the transparent white text on a transluscent gray background scrolling over the background picture looks really good; I'd love to know how you achieve that effect.

Cheers!
Bill

7:07 pm  
Blogger Bill said...

... presume it is ...

7:08 pm  
Blogger angel said...

oooh- i like the buildings in the background! very nice!

7:40 pm  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

Hi all, thanks for the comments, especially kyknoord and his suggestion that dog shit would still not keep my readers away. :-)

I've updated this post with, um, and update. Bill, I'm more than happy to help out but I think I need to get the IE thing sorted out before giving you instructions. Unless you don't mind having something that doesn't work with IE?

I'm beginning to understand why the programming geeks despair so much about IE and love plugging Firefox

11:08 pm  
Blogger Dawn said...

This techno talk makes me nervous and seriously wanting to hang my head in stupidity shame (I haven't even had the ball bearings to attempt the pics thing you so generously helped me with). I think the blog is looking very cool and only realized how boring the old one had gotten with the arrival of this one ... and yes, it does open much quicker for me, too! Happy Valentine's Day. xox

4:54 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home