Saturday, February 17, 2007

Especially for Caroline

This post is especially for Caroline. Bristol Caroline, not Amsterdam Caroline. I'm having dinner with Amsterdam Caroline tonight, but have never had the pleasure of meeting Bristol Caroline so far.

orange building
Firstly, I've posted another picture of the building that I work in to show you that the building is truly orange. Previous pictures weren't quite as clear.

Do you agree with me now?

Secondly, you weren't that keen on my recent tweaking as you find the text on a semi-transparent background a bit disconcerting. There may be others who feel the same but, especially for you, I've implemented a choice of themes for viewing this blog. You can choose between 'transparent' and 'opaque' depending on your preference. Make your choice in 'display themes' just above the picture of the strange boy without an arm.

I think that it works properly with Firefox, IE7 and previous versions of IE. If anyone notices any glitches, please let me know.

9 Comments:

Blogger Caroline said...

That looks orange enough to count as orange to me.

Have you had further orangeness recently or was it a line that ends here - it makes a pretty good full stop at least.

And wow a transparent and opaque theme choice - now that really is ideal - it means I can look at the picture or read your words - thank you - I hadn't imagined you might do that! You are brilliant at this sort of thing.

And yes I am deeply honoured - even if its not me you are having dinner with.

4:46 pm  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

Glad you agree and glad you approve. :-)

However, as other Caroline has pointed out, it loads slowly and I think she's right about the flag counter being one of the problems. It's also slower in IE6 because of the hack necessary to implement transparency.

Nothing's ever perfect, especially when a useless HTML/CSS/etc programmer.

4:56 pm  
Blogger J. David Zacko-Smith said...

Hi! Well, I really like the new design - and I think it fits you well now that you are in a new place! I use Safari and Firefox, and your blog looks great on both of them, even on my small 12" laptop screen. I know how daunting making blog changes can be, so you deserve a "BRAVO"! ;-)

6:50 pm  
Blogger Minge said...

And fabulously with Netscape, too.

I've never seen an orange building before.

10:15 pm  
Blogger Alan said...

The design is good but I cant read any of the blue writing. I'm not that old but my eyes cant handle it. But overall a nice effect.

4:41 am  
Blogger DougZAR said...

Opaque works best for me from the office (IE6 - corporate standards and all that). In transparent mode, the hyperlink colours tend to blend into the background, making them difficult to read.

11:14 am  
Blogger angel said...

now THIS look i like... wait- isn't that what i said about the last one?

1:58 pm  
Anonymous Tom Cat said...

Opaque is LOVELY! the whole design is fantastic actually..

6:41 pm  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

J. David Zacko-Smith: Thanks for the approval although some complaints have been made about some of the blue writing being hard to read.

Minge: It’s very orange indeed!

Alan : I’ll play around with the colours sometime to see how I can improve them.

DougZAR: I’ll see what I can do about the hyperlinks when I next get into tweak mode.

angel: You’re the right sort of friend to have. Now does my arse look fat in this?

Tom Cat: You’re meant to be extolling the delights of the transparent background!! However, I’m glad you like the design.

11:29 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home