Friday, January 26, 2007

The Quintessential Amsterdam experience (*)?

I joined colleagues for drinks last night. By the time the trams had stopped running, they were in the mood to go clubbing in De Pijp but I was the only one amongst them without a bicycle. I was happy to go home but they were having none of it.

One of them would give me a lift on the back of his bicycle.

Although they’d been there before, we got lost so I was given a long, scenic journey through Amsterdam on the back of a bike. Once we found it, we decided that the queue was too long. We went to another place near Leidseplein instead. Yet another long queue put an end to the idea of going clubbing.

A five minute walk later, and I was home.

(*) Mike’s term.

6 Comments:

Blogger Minge said...

Cycling around Amsterdam at night is fabulous. I'm lucky enough to have done it once and wish I could do it again. We went to a place called Nomads because we couldn't get into either The Supper Club or Supper Club. They cycling was euphoric and Nomads blew my tiny mind.

You, my dear, are a lucky bitch.

5:43 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you have a bicycle? Or was it just at home?

5:45 pm  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

minge: you'll have to come visit me here if you like this place that much!

caroline: I don't have a bike yet, was going to buy one today but didn't. Tomorrow will be the day, I hope.

8:05 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm lost in the days here - have you got one now?

6:29 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so when are you going to buy one? i don't remember the back of a bicycle being all that comfortable...

6:58 pm  
Anonymous Tom Cat said...

My friends and I were remarking today in the car that we could buy a pair of good Levi's jeans for every two times we fill up with petrol.

So in order to get around that, we tried to think what other methods we could use to get around.

And we thought of cycling - but then we looked at the weather, and it was raining, and we decided that the motor vehicle was better... at least for now.

11:29 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home