Monday, December 18, 2006

Prepping myself for the move...

murder in amsterdam
My mind is starting to shift into Amsterdam mode so I've decided to help it along with a few purchases.

I bought Ian Buruma's critically acclaimed 'Murder in Amsterdam', a 'rivetting account' of the killing of Dutch filmmaker Theo van Gogh by a Muslim extremist, Mohammed Bouyeri. It discusses how a clash between European Enlightenment values and Muslim fundamentalism is ripping Dutch society apart.

Always a controversial figure, Theo van Gogh's murder was very much a result of his collaboration with Ayaan Hirsi Ali, a brilliant and stunningly beautiful Somali from a prominent political family who fled to Holland to escape a forced marriage, learned perfect Dutch, joined the left-wing Labour Party to advocate for abused Muslim women immigrants, and by 2002 was a Member of Parliament and rising star in the conservative free-market Liberal Party.

For a Muslim perspective on the book, read this review.

I also bought the Moleskine City Notebook for Amsterdam. It's a beautiful little book that I fear my laziness may make a waste of money. But, being a sucker for the words 'the legendary notebook of Hemmingway, Picasso, and Chatwin becomes your guide to Amsterdam', I was easily hooked.

A bit of googling introduced me to a new blog, American in Amsterdam. It appears that James is a well-travelled gay American who recently moved to Amsterdam. By looking at his BlogMap, I can see that he lives very close to the flat I didn't take.

Talking of which, in a fit of prematurity, I tried to alter my BlogMap to reflect my address-to-be in Amsterdam. At the time of posting this, it hasn't worked - possibly some fate thing won't allow me to until I'm actually living there.

Update: Blogmap now shows me as living in Amsterdam.

7 Comments:

Blogger andrea said...

Oh God -- how perfect. I carry a garden-variety Moleskine. How fantastic would it be for them to be personalised for each city?! *SO* jealous...

12:14 am  
Anonymous kyknoord said...

Technological bureacracy. Whatever next?

5:22 am  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

andrea: I’d never heard of them before but it’s not surprising that you, as an artist, have.

kyknoord: It’s everywhere these days!

9:15 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry I've not been keeping up! How long are you there for? Is it indefinite? i'm dead jealous!

10:29 am  
Blogger Caroline said...

And when I think of Amsterdam I think of:

There was a mouse there,
Where?
On the stairs.
A little mouse with clogs on...

you are so much more current than I am!

But strangely I have recently bought a pair of clogs (to wear instead of slippers which I don't like) - I hadn't noticed until now but maybe your soon to be Dutchness is influencing me...

Please send me your new address so I can send you a welcome card!

9:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love moleskine! i use the little black notebooks to scribble in when i'm not near my laptop...

11:54 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am going to get that same book, 'Murder in Amsterdam.' I am interested in the subject and have only read pieces here and there...Welcome to Amsterdam. After the holidays maybe we could meet for a drink?

3:30 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home