Monday, December 11, 2006

Party time for queers in Cape Town



It's almost time for the annual Mother City Queer Project (MCQP) costume party.

The first one, The Locker Room Project, was held in 1994 , the year of South Africa's first democratic election which led to sexual orientation being enshrined in the world’s most liberal constitution. It was such a hysterical success (*) that MCQP has grown up to become an annual event on the international queer circuit party calendar.

But, while it may be a queer event, it's very popular with the straights. Straight people in the know, that is. The sort that know that a really good queer party is hard to beat when it comes to friendly, over-the-top, uninhibited fun.

I've yet to go. Maybe next year if I'm in Cape Town. Had I gone this year, I seriously doubt that I’d have dressed up as a super hero. Dressed up as anything, actually. Perhaps I could have passed as Benjamin Parker?

This year it's being held on 16 December, the Day of Reconciliation, a public holiday that has been know by various names, including the Day of the Vow and Dingaan Day.

One wonders what the pious Voortrekkers would have thought about all those prancing moffies in their glittering costumes? Skande!!

This is how 5FM radio is advertising the event.

(*) not my words - lifted from the MCQP website.

13 Comments:

Blogger houstonmacbro said...

queer? that is such a weird and awful word.

12:14 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL! I'm pretty sure the old Voortrekkers would've fallen right off their oxwagons at the thought!

12:57 pm  
Blogger Caroline said...

Why not go as the alter ego of Byro Parker?

5:18 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm also steadfastly refusing to make an appearance at an MCQP. And the reason goes back to the first one in 1994. I'll tell you why some day . . .

7:58 pm  
Anonymous chitty said...

The reference to the Voortrekkers - seriously funny. Sounds like a good idea for a costume too.

9:08 am  
Anonymous kyknoord said...

It's well worth it. They're always a total blast.

12:58 pm  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

houstonmacbro : It is a rather queer word, I agree. I don’t know if you are gay or not but if you are, I’d assume that you know that ‘queer’ has been reclaimed by the queers as an affirmative word rather than a derogatory one. A bit like the way ‘nigger’ has been reclaimed by blacks. Apart from posts like these, however, I almost never use it.

Terri: Or, perhaps, join in the revelry?

Caroline: I blush when I see that name now as it reminds me of what I didn’t do in the month of November! :-)

DougZAR: It’s not that I refuse to go, it’s more a case of never being in CT or, when there, not really having had the time to go. I’m very intrigued to hear your reason for avoiding the event.

chitty: It would put a whole new spin on ‘volkspele’.

kyknoord: I’ll eventually get to go and see what all the fuss is about.

1:56 pm  
Anonymous xmichra said...

Oh my goodness! A reason to wear my wonder woman boots! hehehe.. i would totally do that in a heartbeat!

11:14 pm  
Blogger Ben said...

Only just discovered you're off to Amsterdam next month. Very best wishes, and I look forward to keeping in touch by blog!

11:57 pm  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

xmichra: I can see you in a Wonder woman outfit!

ben: Thanks for the best wishes.

4:57 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Day of The Covenant
Dingaan's Day
Day of Reconsiliation

AND Beethoven's birthday

any excuse for a day off!

8:30 am  
Blogger angel said...

the 5fm ad is hysterical!
i would love to attend mcqp- i think i'd dress up as an old west bar maid- feathers and all! if i was skinny enough i'd do the whole xena outfit thing

12:09 pm  
Anonymous Lionel said...

Pretty effective info, thanks for the post.
STD | breakfast pizza | dress styles

8:11 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home