Wednesday, November 01, 2006

What did I do on Halloween?

puppini sistersI went to a burlesque show and fell in lust love.

Mike, being an occasional purveyor of free concert/gig tickets, invited me and Michelle to The Social last night for an evening of burlesque.

We got there at 8.30 but it was 11.30 before the main act, ‘The Puppini Sisters’, did their thing. Up until then, barring an uplifting rock act (hardly burlesque!), the evening was very much like a student revue. Being rather tired from too little sleep the night before, I’d contemplated leaving before the latter day Andrews Sisters appeared on stage.

I’m pleased I didn’t.

puppini sisterspuppini sisters

They were slick, they were polished, and they looked just right (*). More importantly, however, the double bassist was totally gorgeous. He looked like a young, much better-looking, Boris Becker. And, if anything, he looked even better for the part – white vest, braces, fedora, casually confident. I couldn’t take my eyes off him! Although the crowd was about 15 people deep and I was at the back, I’m sure he was smiling at me.

Why else did he seem to respond each time I smiled back?

I knew that my camera wouldn’t do justice to the event, let alone him, so I jumped on to Google when I got home. There was lots on the Puppini Sisters (an official website as well as the obligatory myspace profile) but absolutely nothing on Nick ‘Fingers’ Pini apart from a few references here and there. But, not a single photograph!

puppini sistersnick pininick pinipuppini sisters

Michelle, you were there at the front with your fancy camera – make sure you send me some decent pics of him!

(*) Mike’s opinion: ‘In a sophisticated cabaret bar, their act would have gone down a treat. In this sweaty rock venue, it all fell rather flat’. He’s right, of course, but I didn’t feel flat at all.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can tell that the double bassist was cute just from the picture you posted - if you get any more pictures of him be sure to let us know (please).

Sounds like you had a grand time!

1:29 pm  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

I certainly did have a good time even though I was tired and the breaks between acts were too long. At least I had the double bassist at the end to make it all worthwhile! :-)

3:11 pm  
Anonymous katrina borroff said...

hello, i was at that very show and loved every minute of it i was on the front row dancing around n eating chocolate ciggerettes, but i forgot my camera n i am desperatly trying to hunt down sum pictures ive managed to find one with one of my friends in teh background but i just wandered if you had n e links for pictures of that night that i could see, thankyou muchly, katrina xxx

2:02 pm  
Anonymous katrina borroff said...

hello, i was at that very show and loved every minute of it i was on the front row dancing around n eating chocolate ciggerettes, but i forgot my camera n i am desperatly trying to hunt down sum pictures ive managed to find one with one of my friends in teh background but i just wandered if you had n e links for pictures of that night that i could see, thankyou muchly, katrina xxx

2:04 pm  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

Hi Katrina, I shall have to ask my friend Michelle as she took lots of pics

6:13 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home