Sunday, November 19, 2006

Synchronicity - my future's orange?

caroline's orange scribbleHaving grown up in the sixties and seventies, orange has never been one of my favourite colours, but, perhaps as a result of the synchronicity that Caroline keeps going on about, orange has featured rather heavily in my life of late. I may not have the sequence right, but here is the evidence.

After many months of cadging my broadband service from the bar next door, I eventually started paying for my own connection. For no particular reason other than seeing a promotion at Maplins, I chose Orange. This came after many months of deciding that I prefer Firefox to Microsoft’s Internet Explorer. No, there’s no connection between Firefox and Orange, but the Firefox logo is also orange in colour.I then embarked on a vigorous defence of redheads (aka gingers) which was closely followed by my recipe for the ‘best carrot cake in the world’.

Are you beginning to see a common thread through all of this?

I then managed to get myself an interview with a major bank in Amsterdam whose logo is rather orange. Not really an odd thing for a Dutch organisation as the House of Orange has dominated Dutch political life since William I of Orange (also known as "William the Silent" and "Father of the Fatherland") organized the Dutch revolt against Spanish rule, which after the Eighty Years' War (1566 - 1648) led to an independent Dutch state.

Although I could dredge up the Dutch connection with South Africa, I think that may be stretching a point to far. But it does remind me that I still have to do a post about my 121st flag visitor.

limeys bagAnyway, as a result of the impending interview (this coming Monday), I thought it worthwhile to get my wardrobe up to scratch. Unlike the stereoptypical view of a gay man, shopping just isn’t my thing, particularly clothes shopping. However, once I force myself to trawl the shops looking for new garments, I can get into the spirit of the exercise. Over the past week or so, I’ve been on a bit of a shopping spree, primarily to find myself a decent suit. En route, I bought myself a few odds and ends that have nothing to do with the interview. I actually went a bit mad buying jumpers, jerseys as we call them in South Africa, at Limeys who have been having a great sale.

And, guess what, their sales shopping bag is orange!

I didn’t get my suit there but I got a really beautiful one that cost me a small fortune from Paul Smith. Although buying a suit would usually be a rather unpleasant ordeal for me, my rather sentimental streak narrowed the choices enough to make it relatively simple. Paul Smith is an international designer, especially renowned for his men’s wear, whose roots are in Nottingham. He’s known for his predilection for stripes, stripes of many colours, not necessarily orange. I decided on a Paul Smith suit as I thought it would be nice to own something with a strong Nottingham connection as I may be leaving Nottingham soon. Yes, yes, counting one’s chickens before they hatch and all that, but that’s the way my mind works.

Just in case you’re wondering, there isn’t a hint of orange in the suit!

The final nail in the orange coffin (I’m not obsessed with my death clock!) was visiting Caroline’s blog for the first time in a couple of weeks. Yep, more evidence of orange - her orange scribble is at the top of the page.

The future’s bright, the future’s orange?

There's lots of orange stuff for you to view below. If you want to see bigger versions of the clips, click on the numbers.
123
456
789
101112

10 Comments:

Blogger Caroline said...

Now I understand what you mean about orange... you may or may not be delighted to know that orange is associated by many people with the sacral chakra.

10:45 am  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

I am delighted indeed!

For someone who isn't particularly partial to orange, it's strange that I've chosen a background colour that is vaguely orange.

11:16 am  
Blogger andrea said...

Thought I'd comment before I forget (it's an age thing) and then check out your YouTube clips...

I LOVE that orange digital painting of Caroline's too. And you're right -- I do detect an orange theme in your blogging of late. And talk about synchronicities, I was just wondering if I have anything orange to wear to back my team (the BC Lions -- colour ORANGE) for today's Grey Cup final, Canadian football's equivalent to the Superbowl.

Weird indeed.

4:14 pm  
Blogger andrea said...

Oh -- by the way. As a woman and gay man, let's get together and NOT go shopping, OK? As an alternative activity, I believe I have a little Cointreau or orange Schnapps in the cupboard...

4:17 pm  
Anonymous xmichra said...

well, my walls in my main area of my house are orange :) i love orange. It is a color that symbolizes a newness. Much like how black and orange are used as colors for halloween. In the wiccan culture, the black is to represent the dead, and the orange the begining of the new year.

11:09 pm  
Anonymous nyasha said...

congrats with the interview Nomad. In England i presume (?) Maybe wearing an orange suit will land you the job *wink*
btw, have decided to make your carrot cake for a birthday on December 22. Will post a picture of the result. :)

9:08 pm  
Blogger Chef Babs said...

Just stopped in to say hello. It's a drive-by fruiting, hahahaha!!

11:06 pm  
Blogger Tammy said...

My husband has no idea how lucky he is - I hate shopping, unless I am hitting walmart or Target shopping does nothing for me. A friend of mine forced me to enter the hallowed halls of Nordstrom with her and the pricey gear just made me stress out, I looked at her buying $200 shoes with such abandon and could just not get caught up in her joy. I love my $22 Dr Scholls from Walmart :) Good luck with the interview!!

1:18 am  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

andrea: Your wearing orange (if you did?( must have helped, just like terri's. That painting of Caroline's is rather good, I agree!

xmichra: Orange in my case is definitely going to represent a new year, one that starts on the 2nd of January.

nyasha: I got the job without wearing orange - that may have taken it a bit too far! And, no, the job is not in England, it's in Holland.

chef babs: please do some more drive-by fruitings! Pelt me with oranges!

tammy: thanks for the good luck. It worked.

8:26 pm  
Blogger angel said...

ag no man bru- just as i was thinking about asking what colour the suit was you went and burst my comment bubble!

7:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home