Thursday, October 12, 2006

This devil doesn't wear Prada

After last week’s episode of the flapping heel, I resolved to go out and buy myself another pair of black shoes over the weekend. As reluctant as ever to go shopping, I eventually dragged myself out to the shops late on Sunday afternoon. And I actually did some shopping! I bought a few pairs of trousers, a couple of shirts, and a winter jacket.

But, no shoes!

Had I not owned any other shoes, I’d have been forced to buy some. But, having two other pairs, a brown pair that I hardly ever wear because they don’t match what I optimistically call ‘work-wear’ and another black pair, the shopping imperative wasn’t strong enough.

So, as of Monday, I’ve been wearing the other black pair.

Now, there’s a really good reason why I never wear them. I bought them about 18 months ago when I went off for an interview as the recently demised black pair, clumpy Cats, didn’t seem appropriate for a professional image. The new shoes were bought on the morning of the interview so very little thought was given them apart from having to be cheap (I was unemployed) and suitably ‘work-like’. I didn’t get the job but I got the next one I was interviewed for – the job I’m working at now. They’re really rather ugly but, more importantly, rather uncomfortable. Within a few days at the new job, I had discarded them in favour of the clumpy Cats.

Monday wasn’t too bad, but by the end of Tuesday, I could feel that my feet were protesting. A rather angry-looking welt had developed on the top of my right foot. Yesterday, last weeks’ tramp-like hobble had returned. There was no way that I was going to wear them today! So, instead, I’m wearing the brown pair, also clumpy Cats.

Guess what I’ll definitely be doing this weekend?

On a completely different topic, I was standing outside the Screenroom this morning, waiting for my lift, and noticed that ‘Volver’ is showing there at the moment. I saw it a few weeks ago and loved it even if I tend to find Penelope Cruz a bit irritating. Again I was struck by how much it sounds like ‘vulva’. Which reminded me of how my friends and I used to refer to Cape Town’s art cinema, The Labia, as ‘the lips’.

For a gay man, I seem to have an unhealthy obsession with womens’ bits!

11 Comments:

Blogger Caroline said...

Those clumpy Cats look rather good.

I hate shoe shopping - I once dragged a non-gay, male friend around the shoe shops of Coventry - he was appalled that I didn't buy any of them. For me it seems just so hard to find ones that really are comfortable. I've always thought that if I ever became rich one of the things I'd do was have shoes made to measure!

Good luck finding some good ones.

10:46 am  
Blogger PhaZZed said...

haha, dig the post mate! Great read for this morning :)

~ www.imod.co.za ~eipou

11:21 am  
Blogger Rob7534 said...

I suppose we can't blame you for having a fasination with the women's bits... you were married afterall!

I thought you have grown out of it by now. =)

12:08 pm  
Anonymous nyasha said...

not only are you a reluctant nomad but a reluctant shopper as well! :)For a woman, i do not enjoy shopping at all. Only when necessary. So i can relate to what you'll have to endure this coming weekend.
But Cats are supposed to last you an eternity, right? Like Doc Martens... how could they give up on you like that?

7:07 pm  
Blogger whatalotoffun said...

ja I guess its just not in a mans genes to shop my hubby is like that to his got like 3 pairs of shoes in his cupboard. hiking boots he works in, a pair of nike tekkies he calls it his dkw shoes dans kerk en werk skoene. and a pair of sandals.

8:07 pm  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

Caroline: Yes, I like them too. I’ve taken the ones with the flappy heel in to be repaired. But, I’ll still be out looking for some shoes this weekend.

PhaZZed: Glad my tales of my footwear amused you.

Rob7534: Old habits die hard, I guess. Incidentally, I’m STILL married.

nyasha: Gay men are supposed to enjoy shopping too, but not this one.

You’re right about the Cats being meant to last forever. The shoe repair place asked me if I still had the receipt as it was a very strange way of coming apart and had nothing to do with the stitching which is still perfect. I said, ‘Of course not, they’re about 5 years old.’ Apparently, I’d be able to get a refund had I still had the receipt.

whatalotoffun: DKW shoes – I like that!

8:37 am  
Blogger DougZAR said...

There's something not right about wearing the same pair of shoes to work day after day. You need an Imelda Marcos make-over, mate!

10:06 am  
Blogger justin said...

Mrs C and I loved the film "Volver" too .. it's a pity that the title sounds like vulva .. you'd think the film makers would have thought about that one, when they chose it.
I go for Clarks shoes myself, the ones with the special soles for extra comfort.

9:00 am  
Blogger Babsbitchin said...

Shoes can make or break you, can't they? I have a bunion now from years of stiletto heels and my feet will scream at me in tantrum if I try to shove a pair on. Nope, it's boots for me or
Doc Martens. Kisses sweets!

3:35 am  
Blogger Alan said...

I dislike shopping too, but usualy as I dont have any money. My other half loves to shop.

3:13 pm  
Blogger Fashion said...

I love your blog !!!!!!The message given by the episode is really good.....Thanks for announcing my favorite Timberland Shoes in that episode.....

6:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home