Saturday, October 07, 2006

One two one

Regular readers of this blog will know that I have an odd fascination with flags and numbers which often manifests itself with a ‘flag post’ when my flag or hit counter reaches an auspicious number. But, having said that, I didn’t do a flag post for 99, even though I celebrated it with 99 red balloons, and I didn’t do one for my 100th flag. In fact, my last flag post had nothing to do with my counters and was all about freedom. And, arguably, the one before that, was about lack of freedom in the past. So, when my flag counter hit 121 a few days ago, I thought it time to do another flag post that had some relevance to the flag counter.

The flag counter had been static on 119 for several weeks but once it reached 121, it started creeping up towards 125 so I got down to doing a bit of research on the 121st flag just in case I got an urge to do one for 125. Since then, my crazy site traffic of the past two days has lifted the counter to 144 so you could argue that 121 is old hat, especially since it can’t be long before 150 flags are reached, 150 being a fine number. Well, it is, but 121 has a great ring about it – firstly, it’s nicely symmetrical and, secondly, ‘one-to-one’ is an English phrase, something that other numbers, barring 123 perhaps, can’t claim for themselves.

So, 121 it will be.

But, once 121 was reached, I kept an eye on the other flags to see what had brought them to my blog. This was very easy to do until dooce linked me and my site traffic shot up with every new flag being the result of that link.

LiechtensteinMonacoEritreaMoldovaParaguay

This is what brought in those strange people before I was dooced:


At one stage, the South African flag used to be third on my list until it was knocked down by Canada. This sudden increase in site traffic has seen it knocked down another place by Australia. Mmmmm....not sure that I approve of that!!

Anyway, back to my 121 post - I somehow doubt that I’ll get to it before my 150th flag but it will be there within the next few days

11 Comments:

Anonymous Camille said...

Interesting :)
I have a passion for flags too. Why they were chose, stuff like that.
What do you think of mine? (France)

10:43 am  
Blogger Alan said...

Things are going well on the flag front. I think that there only about 157 countries recognised by the UN so you may soon hae a full set of the world. Good luck.

6:06 pm  
Blogger Caroline said...

You must find this country a bit boring as we don't have many flags up...

Whilst looking at the photos I'd been taking somewhat randomly out of the car window as we drove up the M5 yesterday I found a flag in one. A flag you are unlikely to have come up....


... a skull and cross bones!

Which flag is your favourite (without considering what country it represents)?

7:48 pm  
Blogger whatalotoffun said...

is it my imagination but you had a total like over 4 000 visitor on one day thats like alot. Thanks for reading my blog again. Wish I had so many readers.

10:01 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm... am I the first visitor from Mauritania? exciting...
-JDM from Nouakchott

12:11 am  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

camille: the French flag is very simple but, probably because of history, it has great appeal. I like the colours too.

alan: the counter lists some countries as separate entities even though they do not have a political presence at the UN. So, quite a few more flags to go, I would say.

caroline: I'd be most surprised if the skull and crossbones poped up on my counter! As for a favourite flag, that's not easy at all. I like the British one a lot, as do I like the S African one. But, flags that have no relevance to me that I like, are the Nepalese, Guyanese (quite a lot like the Mozambiquan one), Malaysian (quite similar to the US flag), Uruguay and Argentia (because of the Sun).. I could go on and on. See, told you it's not easy choosing a favourite.

whatalotoffun: Acutally, it was 17500 yesterday and a bit more than that today!! Crazy numbers!

JDW: You certainly are my first visitor from Maritania - welcome. You're also flag 161

12:23 am  
Anonymous Sir Check said...

The UN recognises 192 member states (http://www.un.org/Overview/unmember.html) plus there are several states outside the UN (e.g. Vatican). So you still have a few more to go. However, with the current speed... :) Congratulations!

7:20 am  
Anonymous Frog with a Blog said...

Gee Nomad, this flag counter is out of control, it's on 162 now! remember you promised you'd marry me when it gets to 192!
Now, tag me baby!

9:27 am  
Blogger Caroline said...

Okay so you like lots of flags - what is it that makes a flag a good one? (And I was quite surprised at the skull and cross bones I saw in my photo - I hadn't noticed it at the time I took it)

12:59 pm  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

Sir Check: Thanks for congratulating me. :-)

Frog with a Blog: It WAS out of control – seems stuck on 162 now – it may take quite a while before it reaches 192.

Did I really promise that? Oh dear, do you know what you are letting yourself in for? Tag you with what?

Caroline: Another difficult question. It has to be relatively simple in design but creatively put together in terms of design and colour. The Union Jack is a great one even though quite ‘fussy’ but it’s iconic and I like the history behind it.

1:28 pm  
Anonymous hanum said...

Flag counter is simple and low bandwidth use than Feedjit live traffic feed. Nice to know you ;)

5:11 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home