Monday, October 30, 2006

My neighbourhood

Although I woke early, I spent half of yesterday lying in bed with Saturday’s papers and idly watch re-runs of Friends. Being the day that the clocks turned back, it would be getting dark by five so I’d have to be out of the flat by 2 if I wanted any proper daylight. From now on, for the next 6 months, I’ll be leaving for work when it’s dark and arriving home when it’s dark. So you can appreciate why I normally find the day the clocks turn back one of the most depressing of the year. Yesterday, however, was a perfect English autumn’s day – the air was crisp, the skies bright blue. Going outside put me in a great mood.

The long shadows and bright sunshine were perfect for snapping away with my camera phone. Viewed on the camera, each picture looked like a miniature masterpiece. Once I downloaded them on to my computer, the limitations of relatively low resolution were immediately apparent.

So much for my masterpieces!

But, until I get a decent camera, this is the best I’ve got. They’re actually not that bad, I suppose. Good enough, anyway, to give you an idea of what my neighbourhood looks like on a lovely day. All of the pics were taken within 10 minutes’ walk from my flat.

You will see that I’m rather keen on the Victorian Gothic architecture of Watson Fothergill. Keen enough, in fact, to consider a separate post devoted to him at some stage. I’ll have to have got myself a decent camera by then.

goosegatecarlton buildingjesse bootpavement glassred door – stoney street
goose gatecarlton buildingjesse boot – goose gatepavement glassred door – stoney street
fothergill warehousefothergill plaquestoney streetchurch railingschurch yard
fothergill warehousefothergill plaquestoney streetchurch railingschurch yard
st martinsfirestoneslace market hotelpitcher & piano doorpitcher & piano
st martinsold firestones signlacemarket hotelpitcher & piano doorpitcher & piano
pitcher & piano spirefashionjones’s bootspaul smithpavement cafe
pitcher & piano spirefashionjones’s bootspaul smithpavement cafe
topmannottingham streetst petersamerican express – sa flagrainbow flag
topmannottingham streetst petersamerican express – sa flagrainbow flag
town hallmarket squarezaraszaras doorhard rock – old jessops building
town hallmarket squarezaraszaras entranceold jessops building
the socialfothergill officesfothergill doorwayfothergill hingeold angel
the socialfothergill officesfothergill doorwayfothergill hingeold angel
hornbyssqueeksqueek doorpublic relationsrose of england
hornbyssqueeksqueek doorpublic relationsrose of england

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pics! I didn't realise you live right there in the heart of things!

These certainly bought back loads of memories! Especially Squeek, where my Ex worked and I joined many an after hours staff drinking session ;o)

2:25 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are great, great pictures - I really enjoyed them, and I wish I could be there to walk with you!

No worries about them being "less than perfect" - they reflect LIFE better than way. They look "raw" and life is lived "raw".

Thank you for sharing them!

6:22 pm  
Blogger Babsbitchin said...

This is so cool Nomad, I really love it. It's a personal venture. Surprisingly, I think the phone does a damn good job. Very enjoyable!

1:18 am  
Anonymous Chitty said...

Picture are great! Cool of you to share your neighbourhood with us.

7:20 am  
Anonymous buddess said...

Very interesting pictures!! It almost feels as if I was walking along with you. I especially like the old jessops building picture.

10:15 am  
Anonymous nyasha said...

would have loved to be sitting outside at the pavement café... having a nice warm espresso and catching up on some reading.
thought it funny that you, Dawn and i blogged about the weather :) tis that time of year...

12:34 pm  
Blogger Dawn said...

I just love these posts of yours and my response to them is always the same ... you have me thirsting for some real history and a really old building ... New Jersey somehow just doesn't hack it. Thanks for the guided tour and the pics are great - in spite of your discontent with your camera. I guess the Nomad in me really relates to this stuff. xox

1:40 pm  
Blogger andrea said...

These are a great cross-section of your neighbourhood. You should open a Flickr accpount and make a mosaic from them.

9:55 pm  
Blogger LiVEwiRe said...

Those are excellent; makes me want to go travel somewhere! I like the fact that you are able to enjoy your surroundings, so many take them for granted.

1:00 am  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

Paul: I hope all the memories were good ones!! I’ve never eaten at Squeek but should give it a try sometime.

J. David Zacko-Smith: They do look good and raw is and can be good but you can get so much more creative with a decent camera.

Babsbitchin: Glad you liked going for a walk with me.

Chitty: I’m such a sharer! :-)

buddess: I love that building too. It seems so mysterious, slightly spooky too.

nyasha: You would have frozen your butt off out there!

Dawn : You guys have convinced me to take more pics of things around me. All the more reason to get a proper camera soon.

andrea: I have a Flickr account so must look into creating a mosaic.

LiVEwiRe: Too right about people taking their surroundings for granted! I often fall into the same trap but like to think I’m not permanently in it.

11:19 am  
Blogger dB said...

Excellent pictures.

One of the best things about leaving the UK is missing the damned October clock change.

I've always been in favour of moving the whole of the UK forward an hour to Central European Time and to hell with the Scottish farmers who seem the be the main excuse for maintaining the status quo.

7:52 am  
Blogger angel said...

i think those are fabulous! i must get a camera like yours- mine is shocking when it comes to pictures... i get a new phone in january, can't wait!

7:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home