Thursday, October 12, 2006

'Everybody my age should be issued with a 2lb fresh salmon'

richard griffiths"Everybody my age should be issued with a 2lb fresh salmon," he says. "If you see someone young, beautiful and happy, you should slap them as hard as you can with it. When they ask, 'Why did you do that?', you say, 'Because, you lucky young bastard, you don't know how fortunate you are.' And they don't..."

That's a fresh interpretation by Richard Griffiths of George Bernard Shaw's 'Youth is wasted on the young'.

An apt saying from a brilliant comic actor famous for playing the predatory homosexual Uncle Monty in Withnail and I and, more recently, awful Uncle Vernon in the Harry Potter films.

I'll be seeing him in the film of Alan Bennett's stage play, 'The History Boys', this weekend where he portrays Hector, the groping polymath of a grammar-school teacher. It will be interesting to see if it's yet another role that confirms his disaffection towards youth.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Sir Check said...

You certainly do not waste your time, do you?! :)

10:14 am  
Anonymous rhino75 said...

I love "Withnail & I" - a full review of the play, please!!

11:53 am  
Anonymous nyasha said...

it is surely wasted on the youth - i know i wasted it. i want it all back.

1:02 pm  
Blogger Paul said...

I like to think I haven't wasted any of mine. I certainly have the war wounds to prove it!

8:04 pm  
Blogger Caroline said...

Luckily its my birthday today so you can put that salmon done!

8:37 pm  
Anonymous vitor said...

Wow sounds like a nice film!

I have to keep an eye out for people carrying salmon from now on...

9:46 pm  
Anonymous xmichra said...

haha... i am so going to go out and buy a fishy tomorrow...

4:26 am  
Blogger justin said...

Look out too for that mad nude couple, who like driving around in a Mini, and whacking people with a fish. One says to the other, "That was a good one!"

8:45 am  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

sir check: I'm known to be fast if I get my arse into gear!

rhino: It's the film, not the play, that I'm going to see. But, will let you know what I think of it. And, yes, Withnail & I is a great film - Richard E Grant is brilliant in it. I keep meaning to do a review of his semi-autobiographical film, 'Wah wah' because I have so many negative things to say about it.

paul: just imagine how many more war wounds you'd have if you were able to get it back again.

nyasha: if you manage to find yours, let me know how you did it.

caroline: happy birthday! *mwah mwah*

vitor: perhaps, in Portugal, it will be cod or, even, bacalhau? :-)

xmichra: you're too young to go buy yourself a fishy!

justin: that add is bizarre - I like it. Not seen it for a while though.

1:44 pm  
Blogger xmichra said...

I will take that since i am feeling rather like an old pair of shoes lately :}

9:19 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I saw The History Boys last night with my boyfriend number 1 :-). We both thoroughly enjoyed it. The Dakin character was quite hot, but I'd go for Posner every time!

GB xxx

PS: I thought Richard Griffiths played a great Hector.

10:01 pm  
Anonymous Clair said...

It won't really have effect, I think this way.
wedding loans | wedding loans | scholarships for moms

3:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home