Sunday, October 15, 2006

Counting my words

uncyclopediaIt's amazing what sort of stuff you can stumble upon if you have the time and inclination to follow links and get creative with the search engines. Do I hear someone saying, 'Get a life'? Whatever! Uncyclopedia was a good site to find especially because it has this to say about Cape Town:

Cape Town is a city on the coast of South Africa, so called because the wearing of capes or cloaks is compulsory within the city limits. Founded by Batman on his way to cyberspace in 1993, Cape Town is also called "The mother city", believed to be due to the highly expressive vocabulary of the local dialect (in which the words "your mother" feature regularly) and the cheap and nasty (but potent) local wine. A different school of thought believes the origin of the name lies in the fact that it takes 9 months to do anything in this sleepy hollow.....

....It is socially unacceptable for a Capetonian to talk to people that they have not previously talked to, which severely limits social interactions. If the opportunity should somehow present itself, a traditional Cape Town greeting is "Jou ma se p*&s", often abbreviated to "Jou ma", which means, roughly "Good day and good health to you and your good mother, sir!"

"Robin Island", in the bay, was named after Batman's faithful sidekick. Later it was renamed "Robbin' Island" and used as a jail, like Alcatraz but with colder water around it and more sharks in it. Nelson Mandela was imprisoned here for over 50 years, after being convicted of charges of failing to respect Prime Minister Koos van der Merwe's authority, and being black in a public place.

word count
query count
Further stumbling took me to the interesting work that Jonathan Harris does. His WordCount™ and QueryCount™ presentations are fun to play around with. WordCount™is an interactive presentation of the 86,800 most frequently used English words. Type in a word and you can find its position in terms of how frequently it is used. QueryCount™ tracks the way we use WordCount. Rather unsurprisingly, the most frequently searched words are mostly sex-related.

Talking of word counts, I wonder if I should register for this?

13 Comments:

Blogger xmichra said...

You sould TOTALLY register! Heck, i think i may as well!!! Are you kidding me?!!

"...The kamikaze approach forces you to lower your expectations, take risks, and write on the fly.

Make no mistake: You will be writing a lot of crap. And that's a good thing."

What's not to love with that!

9:23 pm  
Blogger Katherine said...

absolutely wonderful. thank you very very much for that discovery of uncyclopedia!

11:27 pm  
Blogger CTG said...

Fantastic Nomad. I love the Cape Town article. Haha. I agree - the 'jou ma' can be frequently heard in the city. I just love the humour. Our very own Gotham City, LOL, founded by Batman indeed, lol.

8:27 am  
Anonymous nyasha said...

must not forget your cape now Nomad, next time you go down south!! Hillarious. I got curious and typed in "Denmark" and this is what i got: "Someone in Denmark once sketched a cartoon of somekind of prophet or something. The middle east rejoiced in appreciation, and tourism quickly tripled. Danish inns, hotels, hostels and discount supermarkets now estimate approximately 7 overnight stays per year".
A lot of truth to that!!

9:17 am  
Anonymous buddess said...

I typed in PE and check this out..
"Port Elizabeth is a city on the coast of South Africa. Port Elizabeth was named after some dead guys wife in a fit of remorse after he had sexual congress with an indigenous person (now known as BEE's) and gave birth to the so called coloureds.

Port Elizabeth is also know as the windy city but Cape Town is even windier owing to the higher gay population. Sometimes also called the friendly city because the residents are always walking around with smiles on their faces owing to the close propensity of the lush green fields of Transkeian Gold Grass on their doorstep, as well as the fact that many low IQ people holiday in Port Elizabeth"

You might want to take a look at your flag counter. I read your post a little while ago that read 121, you are now at 165!!! Good going!!

9:27 am  
Blogger Caroline said...

The entry for Bristol is amusing... thank you!

And word veri says its a vg vj gag (my spaces)

10:49 am  
Blogger Caroline said...

And having messed around for a bit on the nanowrimo site I've signed up.. so I hope you do to... I've taken on a new identity since I've always fancied writing fiction under a pen name... so I've called myself Biro Parker... well I would've if I'd thought of it before I signed up...

11:37 am  
Blogger Tammy said...

That is the best definition I have ever heard, lucky I packed my cape away when I left Kaapstad - would never want to give my identity away by accident.

1:21 pm  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

xmichra: Quite right! I think I'll register.

katherine: Glad you like my discovery.

CTG: Who ever wrote it, did a great job.

nyasha: I looked for other places too, some I found (eg Nottingham) but not all - it begs for people to write up entries for all sorts of things.

buddess: Cape Town is windy and it is full of moffiness but what have we got to do with the windiness, I wonder? :-)

Caroline: I want that name and am going to ask you for it if you don't use it.

tammy: But, perhaps, a cape is good for camouflage?

6:34 pm  
Blogger Caroline said...

We could be the Bic and Biro Parker twins!

You are welcome to either

I've signed up as Veronica something or other - oh dear I can't remember my pen name!

6:40 pm  
Blogger Guyana-Gyal said...

How are you, by the way, coping with your fame?

7:20 pm  
Anonymous Arron said...

Really useful information, lots of thanks for your post.
Brantford homes

4:23 pm  
Anonymous Bertrand said...

This cannot have effect in actual fact, that's what I consider.
sex pillows | furniture stores | hot naked women

12:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home