Saturday, October 28, 2006

The Broadway cinema has changed

old broadwayIt's great living opposite the Broadway Cinema even if I don't go there as often as I want and should. Sort of like being in Cape Town and never going up Table Mountain, if you know what I mean.

Until its recent revamp, it was looking a bit tatty around the edges but in a way that I liked. Apparently, the Nottingham Film Theatre opened there on September 2nd 1966, on the site of a 1839 Weslyan chapel, but the building had a rather pleasing Art Deco look. Yes, had, as the revamp has completely changed the way it looks.

For the past few months, I've watched the way it's been changing and was rather dismayed to see the huge sheets of blue glass being placed on the facade. It looked as if the place was going to be transformed into yet another indistinguishable modern steel and glass structure. But, now that it's finished, despite it having lost its original appeal, I think they've done quite a good job.

new broadway at nightnew broadway at night

I had a drink in the new bar upstairs last week and can see it'll become a favourite haunt of many, including me. As yet, I've not been to the two new cinemas built in the basement, one of which has been designed by one of Nottingham's favourite sons, Paul Smith. So, I haven't seen, let alone sat on, the 'love seats' he's designed for the place. Call me old-fashioned, but I suspect that I won't like them as I prefer conventional seating in a cinema. For the time being, however, I'll reserve judgement.

new broadway daytimenew broadway daytime

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I really like the way that came out. Admittedly I always hate to see lovely old buildings go away - there is something about their charm and the sense of history that surrounds them that makes them magical, but some refurbishments actually do give new life...and that seems to be the case here. Nice!

12:08 am  
Blogger Caroline said...

So the changes have made it a place you'll be going to more? That's great!

Now what on earth does this word veri mean:

qmrzzpme

Must be some code I'm not aware of, Mr Nomad.

9:28 am  
Anonymous rhino75 said...

It does look cool - I'd definitely hang out there. Weirdly, for a Paris office, we've got a real Nottingham thing going on at the moment...three of us were getting all nostalgic on Friday about the Goose Fair... ahhhhhhh

10:41 am  
Blogger andrea said...

Interesting. I like good renos, adore old buildings, but I also don't mind seeing examples of architecture that reflect their era all mixed together. The integration seems to work well in this instance.

1:14 am  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

J. David Zacko-Smith: Although you can’t tell from my pics, they’ve actually kept most of the old façade but covered it with glass. From the outside, you can still see the old columns.

Caroline: Yes, I hope to go there more often. Let’s see if that actually happens.
That code is unknown to me too. Looks a bit dodgy though.

rhino75: I didn’t go to Goose Fair this year but enjoyed it in the past. Three people that know Nottingham in your Paris office? That’s rather bizarre. I hope you enjoy the next set of pictures – you may have to let the others see them too for even more of a nostalgia trip.

andrea: Lots of old building for you to drool over in the next post. Pity about the quality though.

1:37 pm  
Anonymous Stu said...

The Broadway Cinema is an old favourite of many and rightly so. I haven't visited since the recent refurbishment but trust it will be in keeping.

Much kudos to the people who run Broadway. It may not be be unique necessarily but for me it's the best envirnment to watch a film in Nottingham and has been for a long time.

4:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home