A rollercoaster ride to nowhere
Mid Tuesday afternoon: Received email with the following details:
- Initial contract is until the end of the year but that is just because when IBM have a contract with XX Bank until.(not my grammar!) When this gets extended then IBM can offer extensions to the candidates - we are looking at a minimum 6 month contract - probably longer.
- You will be based in Antwerp with travel to other sites required.
- For all business related trips to sites outside of Antwerp, IBM will cover flight and accommodation costs. There may be a per diem on top of this for food, taxis etc but this is not confirmed yet. Whenever you are travelling from your home to the base location (i.e Antwerp) or vice versa, then expenses for this including accommodation in Antwerp will need to be paid yourself.
- IBM will probably have a list of hotels in Antwerp where they have a preferred rate, but to be honest you will probably find cheaper options by looking on the internet.
- Cost of living in Antwerp - you can probably get decent hotels (3/4 star) between EUR80-100 p/night - there are also cheaper options than this.
- Dress code - I will find out.
- Timesheets need to be completed on a monthly basis and then you invoice us.
Late Tuesday afternoon: Job cancelled as result of something to do with IBM’s client, XX Bank.
Early Wednesday morning: Received explanatory email:
I spoke to my contact at IBM last night and apparently the senior Project Managers at IBM had just come out of a meeting with XX Bank where they informed them that they would be cost cutting and hence all hiring had to stop.
I am just as annoyed and frustrated as you. Once again, sorry for the way this has worked out - this is a first for me with IBM.
When I first mentioned the possibility of my moving to Antwerp a few days ago, I expressed reservations about the very regular travel but by the time I'd investigated decent-looking accommodation, my mindset had already accepted that I’d be starting work there on September 25th.
Talk about a roller-coaster ride of emotions and expectations! At least I didn't notify my current employers of my imminent departure.