Thursday, September 14, 2006

A rollercoaster ride to nowhere

Late Monday afternoon: Job confirmed in Antwerp.

Mid Tuesday afternoon: Received email with the following details:
  • Initial contract is until the end of the year but that is just because when IBM have a contract with XX Bank until.(not my grammar!) When this gets extended then IBM can offer extensions to the candidates - we are looking at a minimum 6 month contract - probably longer.
  • You will be based in Antwerp with travel to other sites required.
  • For all business related trips to sites outside of Antwerp, IBM will cover flight and accommodation costs. There may be a per diem on top of this for food, taxis etc but this is not confirmed yet. Whenever you are travelling from your home to the base location (i.e Antwerp) or vice versa, then expenses for this including accommodation in Antwerp will need to be paid yourself.
  • IBM will probably have a list of hotels in Antwerp where they have a preferred rate, but to be honest you will probably find cheaper options by looking on the internet.
  • Cost of living in Antwerp - you can probably get decent hotels (3/4 star) between EUR80-100 p/night - there are also cheaper options than this.
  • Dress code - I will find out.
  • Timesheets need to be completed on a monthly basis and then you invoice us.
A bit of internet research showed that I’d easily get a decent, fully-furnished apartment in one of the best parts of central Antwerp for about £600 per month.

Late Tuesday afternoon: Job cancelled as result of something to do with IBM’s client, XX Bank.

Early Wednesday morning: Received explanatory email:
I spoke to my contact at IBM last night and apparently the senior Project Managers at IBM had just come out of a meeting with XX Bank where they informed them that they would be cost cutting and hence all hiring had to stop.

I am just as annoyed and frustrated as you. Once again, sorry for the way this has worked out - this is a first for me with IBM.


When I first mentioned the possibility of my moving to Antwerp a few days ago, I expressed reservations about the very regular travel but by the time I'd investigated decent-looking accommodation, my mindset had already accepted that I’d be starting work there on September 25th.

Talk about a roller-coaster ride of emotions and expectations! At least I didn't notify my current employers of my imminent departure.

17 Comments:

Anonymous kyknoord said...

What do you want to bet that in six months they'll be crying for people to pull them out of crisis? Bastards.

3:13 pm  
Anonymous xmichra said...

no kidding! If you would have given notice.. you would have been hooped. Wow.

6:04 pm  
Blogger andrea said...

Does this mean that Amsterdam is out, too?

6:57 pm  
Blogger andrea said...

Hey! How come your site meter is over 27,000 and mine is only at 26,000. We started at roughly the same time and I DIDN"T TAKE A BREAK (much).

I officially hate you. :)

7:00 pm  
Blogger Alan said...

Sorry about the problems with work. Good job you didn't burn your bridges with your current job. Shame though, you did seem to have your heart set on it.

8:46 pm  
Blogger whatalotoffun said...

I know how it feels when your mind is set on one thing at somebody just takes it away in a wink. sometimes life sucks but look on the bright side everything happens for a reason not that we always know why but it does. its one of my mottos in life. thankd for visiting my site again

9:37 pm  
Blogger BUDDESS said...

Bummer Nomad!!! I am still running around looking for my head, but I simply just had to stop by to see what you are up to. Oe!! check..there goes my head...I'll be back!!! Love ya!!!

8:38 am  
Blogger Dawn said...

A work contract with IBM took me and my hubby (his work) to Holland for two years, from London. He also worked for IBM for several years in South Africa before we left. This story reads so typical of the nature of that company. I would anticipate that kyk's prediction will turn out spot-on! Sorry it bombed but rather now when you are still in a secure situation. Godd luck in the continued search and thanks for visiting - cool to see you back!

1:21 pm  
Blogger Terri said...

Bastards. That's all I have to say.

6:58 pm  
Blogger Guyana-Gyal said...

Dawn says, 'This story reads so typical of the nature of that company.' I find it so hard to believe that an international company can behave that way.

Keeping fingers and toes crossed for you to find your perfect job.

Are you worried? Scared?

12:12 am  
Anonymous nyasha said...

the email itself read very unprofessional - in terms that he was not sure of what IBM had to offer - a lot of "possibly" and "maybe" and it just came across as lack of organisation on their part in terms of the hiring process.
And if DanDan the fireman (Dawn's hubby) has had a bad experience with IBM as well, then you might actually be better off! :) Amsterdam then? Got my fingers crossed for you!!! Boa sorte.

12:07 pm  
Blogger LiVEwiRe said...

You weren't kidding about it being a roller coaster ride! As frustrating as that must have been, you are right about one thing. At least they communicated this all to you in a very short time span that did not allow you to resign from your current position. That could have been really messy. So for now, the nomad stays put. Unless they change their mind again next week... be prepared, you never know!

7:20 pm  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

kyknoord : Bastards indeed!

xmichra : My contract with my current employers ended at the end of last week but an extension was offered. In normal circumstances, had I told them I was not renewing, there may have been a problem but I think they’d have renewed it had I told them that a job I’d accepted was no longer available.

andrea : The Amsterdam role is a different one but for very similar work. There has been no further news on that one as yet.

As for the site meter thing: perhaps I inflated it? Or, perhaps, I’m more popular than you are? Or, more likely, search engines looking for odd things find me more readily than your blog.

Please don’t hate me.

Alan : After a short while of not being sure about it, my heart was definitely inclined towards the new job.

whatalotoffun : I try to look at things in that way too.

BUDDESS : You say such nice things!!

Dawn : It bombed in the best way in the sense that I still had something to keep the bank coffers filled. I have my own IBM tales that should make this sort of thing unsurprising although it does seem to have arise as a result of something they had no control of.

Terri : Bastards, bastards, bastards!!!

Guyana-Gyal : Thanks for crossing your fingers even though South Africans ‘hold thumbs’ instead of crossing their fingers. No, not worried or scared about things at the moment – that will only come about when my current contract ends and I have nothing to go to immediately.

nyasha : Not heard more from Amsterdam so that may not be on the cards. But, these jobs do seem to crop up from time to time so I may yet get there.

LiVEwiRe: It wouldn’t be too much of a surprise if they do suddenly change their minds – here’s hoping.

10:15 am  
Anonymous outofctrl said...

Ugh. That wasn't very nice of them. Anyway, good luck with the job search.

12:15 pm  
Blogger Tammy said...

What a pain in the u know what!!! Sheesh talk about not being able to make a decision. Vasbyt Hey!!

3:28 pm  
Blogger Rob7534 said...

Awful luck Nomad. But still, it could always be worse right, now at least you're in comfortable surroundings by good friends.

11:01 am  
Blogger angel said...

bloody rollercoasters- they should learn their place!!
i prefer those twirling teacups myself...

7:35 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home