Friday, September 08, 2006

Being true to my name

A true nomad, no matter how reluctant he may be about his lifestyle, really needs to wander a bit more than I’ve been doing over the past three years.

I’ve spent most of that time in Nottingham, a city that I’ve grown to enjoy a lot, particularly as I’ve made some very good friends there. So, staying on longer would be great if I were to find a good contract nearby, preferably not as far away as Northampton. My current contract has been extended by another four months. A good thing, of course – the money won’t dry up and it means staying on in Nottingham.

However, while waiting to hear if my contract would be extended, I’ve been looking into what’s available elsewhere just in case the contract came to an end. And, it seems that I am wanted elsewhere. I’m hoping to get final confirmation that I’m wanted for a role either based in Antwerp or Amsterdam. Both cities, especially Amsterdam, appeal to me. The job is a lot better paid and involves travel to countries I’ve never been to before - Brazil and the States.

It sounds irresistible, doesn’t it? Well, yes and no.

Yes, because I’d be working and living somewhere completely different to the UK. Yes, because I’d be travelling to places I want to visit. Yes, because I’d be getting a lot more money that will help quicken my return to South Africa. No, because I’ll have to get used to a new job, new country, new people, etc. No, because spending 50% of my time travelling could get wearisome quite quickly. And, no, because I’ll be leaving friends behind. That's the biggest no and it almost outweighs all the yes-es.

True to my name, I’m reluctant about being a nomad.

But, on balance, should I get a firm offer that definitely benefits my pocket, I’ll be on the move again.

9 Comments:

Blogger Bill said...

I hope it works out for you :)

Personally I think having to get used to a new job, new country, new people, etc is a positive, not a negative, aspect of moving from one country to another, but I know from my own experience how wearying it can get to be travelling on business a lot of the time. My last five or so years in my professional career involved me travelling at least 50 per cent of the time and although I stayed in 5-star hotels wherever I went and either entertained, or was entertained by, clients at top restaurants four or five days a week, sometimes all you really want to do is curl up with a good book and a glass of wine.

Anyway, Belgium or Holland are not so far away - and think of all the side travels around Europe you'd be able to indulge in during your off-time. Good luck! :)

5:31 pm  
Blogger andrea said...

I agree with Bill, but then I'm an enthusiastic nomad who has become rootbound since having kids. I'd choose Amsterdam in a heartbeat. You could still spend weekends at Nottingham!

BTW Kyknoord scared me at first, but I'm very glad to see he's still with us.

5:55 pm  
Anonymous xmichra said...

I am reluctant like yourself.. now.

But if your end goal ultimately is to go back to South Africa, and you are going to leave your mates then... well I guess reason should tell that the friend thing should not be a decicive matter if you will be leaving them anyway.

I know that sounds cold.. but truely, if this brings you closer to your goal, I would say do it.

7:02 pm  
Blogger rhino75 said...

And, as a previous commenter points out, neither place is very far away. As a "continental Europe" dweller, I can tell you it's very feasible to go to the U.K. whenever you want. I agree with Xmichra, if it brings you closer to your goal of moving back to SA, you should defnitely do it!!

9:46 pm  
Blogger Caroline said...

the reluctant nomad turns over a stone and finds himself sitting underneath....

;-)

11:20 am  
Blogger Terri said...

Sounds like a great opportunity and once you get moving you'll probably enjoy the challenge. The longer you stay in one place, the harder it gets to leave.
Trust me.

5:46 pm  
Blogger LiVEwiRe said...

I can see how a nomadic lifestyle would have many ups and downs. The list of pros may seem as long as the list of cons. Amsterdam is quite nice, though. And there is a large (about 3 feet high) penis fountain spewing, uh, water in a certain district that shall remain unnamed but it is near the financial district. ;) Lots of choices coming your way and I wish you the best.

8:15 pm  
Anonymous nyasha said...

amsterdam or antwerp sound great! amsterdam has it all. i would relocate before you could say "wobble"!! :D hope it works out for you in the end and that you are happy with the outcome.
we are also looking to relocate before the end of the year, the nomadic lifestyle is calling us :D

9:39 am  
Anonymous patita said...

Mmm, opportunity! Best of luck to you whichever route you choose.

Though if that travel to the states includes anything in my neck of the woods, well, you could use a change of scenery! :)

5:08 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home