Thursday, July 06, 2006

Lincoln - camera phone pics

steep hillsteep hill inforeader's restjew's courtjew's court info
imperial teascathedral quarterfront entrancecathedral spirescathedral info
Cathedral naverose windowrose windowstained glassview from tower
altarrussell chantry
The pics aren't the best but they give you a good idea of the walk up Steep Hill and what you can expect from the cathedral. Jew's Court is still the centre for Jewish worship in Lincoln but is also a great bookshop. Reader's Rest, another bookshop, was closed but advertises itself as a good half-way rest stop while trudging up Steep Hill. The cathedral has two beautiful rose windows, the Dean's Eye and the Bishop's Eye. You can read about them here but the link doesn't work well in Firefox.

Walking to the cathedral, most of the football supporters were already knocking back their pints in numerous pubs along the way but posses of them were roaming the streets. Walking back to the station, the streets were deserted apart from a bunch of goths on a street corner. They didn't look medieval but they have the period right for living in Lincoln.

When I got to the station I was fascinated by an eccentric old woman crippled with osteoporosis and too many shopping bags. With her platinum hair piled high on her head and big, black sunglasses, she reminded me of a shrivelled Jackie O. She was accompanied by her daughter, tall and upright with masses of long blonde hair that tumbled down her back. At over 50 she really should get it cut. The little old woman was fanatically feeding all the pigeons she could see. I kept taking pictures of them as surreptitiously as I could. As a result, none of them came out very well. They caught the same train as I did. The last I saw of them was them climbing into a taxi at Nottingham station.

I wonder what made them go all the way to Lincoln to go shopping?

football supporterslocal gothsmanky swan
chasing pigeonswalking into stationlooking for pigeon foodwaiting for train

13 Comments:

Blogger xmichra said...

Those are great photos nomad.. and the rose window is breathtaking. That view from the tower is quite remarkable as well.

7:27 pm  
Blogger angel said...

geez bru- that's one SEriously jacked up phone you got- nice pics!

9:11 pm  
Blogger NMOTB said...

You have a really cool blog - nice pictures.

9:42 pm  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

xmichra : I wish the pictures did the place justice.

angel : It is rather good, isn’t it?

New Mom On The Blog : Thanks, and thanks for popping by.

4:09 pm  
Blogger justin said...

Great photos, RN. How do you wedge 3-4 photos together like that - do you upoad a small table of them, or do you add some HTML code onto the template, after uploading them one by one?
I go to Lincoln about every 5 years, as a tourist like yourself.

12:04 am  
Blogger Qenny said...

Lovely to see you getting out and about - and taking such lovely snaps.

12:37 pm  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

Justin: You need to upload the pics on to blogger or somewhere else where you can refer to them then create a table using HTML You insert the pics into the table cells. I found the HTML somewhere and fiddle around with it. It can be a bit fiddly and tedious so I've downloaded an HTML editor to make it easier but still not tried to use it beyond experimentation. I can see that it will be a lot easier than my manual method. I can email you details if you want.

qenny: Yes, about bloody time!!

1:33 pm  
Blogger Babsbitchin said...

Bloody good show, Nomad. Very entertaining. I love stained glass, so of course, I enjoyed the pics immensly. Have a good one and glad you're back!

2:35 pm  
Blogger justin said...

Thanks, RN, for your helpful comments. I'll have a look at your HTML code, when I've got some more spare time, to see how you did it. I've got Dreamweaver 4, so I may have a go at transferring some of its HTML code into a Blogger post, or compare it with yours.

10:30 pm  
Blogger Ben said...

I've been to Lincoln once, two years ago, but we didn't really see any of the city. Spent the early part of the evening in someone's house and then walked into the city centre to go to a club, by which time it was already dark. Judging by your pictures, it'd be worth taking a look around in the daytime...

4:26 pm  
Blogger I LUV CATS said...

#

12:31 am  
Blogger whatalotoffun said...

some nice photos just dropped by to say that I miss you all. will have internet at home at the end of the month. Enjoy your day if you want to you can email me your post to chill@johnnicec.co.za so that i can keep up to all the latest any red wine storys I have missed please forward them

10:49 am  
Blogger Terri said...

Those are great photos, Nomad. I love the ones inside the cathedral. Mine always come out too dark. Nice :)

10:03 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home