Thursday, June 22, 2006

Oh, are we playing them both at the same time?

trinidad and tobago
A week after England played Trinidad and Tobago in the World Cup, I got my first visitor from those beautiful islands, giving me my 111th flag. Even though I’m supporting England in the World Cup, I’d have been very happy had they been beaten by Trinidad and Tobago that night. Being the smallest country ever to qualify, they entered the tournament as the underdogs. I like underdogs.

Yesterday, I got home early enough to watch a bit of Richard and Judy (*). Richard was wittering on as usual and, at one point, regaled the audience with Judy’s ignorance of things geographical and football-related. On hearing that England were playing Trinidad and Tobago last Thursday, she asked:

‘Oh, are we playing them both at the same time?’

I must admit to not knowing too much about the place myself apart from it being the birthplace of V S Naipaul, an author I admire and like a lot even if he is a crotchety, arrogant, old bastard. But, with such an exotic name, being located in the Caribbean and with the people having that lovely accent I associate with West Indians, I'm sure that the place must be wonderful to visit.

(*) I’m not a fan of their programme but I find Judy much more palatable than Richard. They’re a British TV institution and are back on our screens after a run of the Paul O‘ Grady Show. Paul O‘ Grady used to be hilarious as Lily Savage but is loathsome as himself.

10 Comments:

Blogger Qenny said...

Enjoy R&J for now. It will be Paul O'Grady again in six months.

11:48 am  
Blogger kyknoord said...

Seems a reasonable question to me. No self-respecting country should have the word 'and' in its name.

12:10 pm  
Blogger nyasha said...

her and Bush should get together... i am sure they would understand each other's cluelessness... geographic nitwits! :)
Bring back Lily Savage! LOL.

1:16 pm  
Anonymous xmichra said...

R&J sound like the the english answer to america's regis & Kelly. heh.

1:16 pm  
Blogger ChittyChittyBangBang! said...

I was NOT happy with the result. Mind you, it is the gf's fault... I never got to play the game on my PSP.

1:55 pm  
Blogger Dawn said...

R & J are the most unlikely couple! Were you in the UK yet when her top dropped down while presenting at an awards show and there she was gabbing away with her big tits and bra showing - until an audience member went up on stage to tell her to cover up. Is Lily Savage in real person mode anything like Dame Edna?
(p.s. working on those flag pics, by the way.)

2:34 pm  
Blogger andrea said...

You flag whore. And to follow up on Kyknoord's comment, countries with "of" in their names should also be booted off the island.

7:39 pm  
Blogger Alan said...

Richard and Judy or Gobby and Shakey as they should be known.

9:03 pm  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

Qenny : Don’t remind me! However, I’m hardly ever home early enough for either show so I’m sure I’ll cope.

kyknoord : You have a point there.

nyasha : It’s funny how some people are such geographical nitwits when geography comes naturally to me. I suppose it’s all to do with what interests you.

xmichra : I don’t know anything about Regis & Kelly but assume that they’re a TV couple that you aren’t too fond of.

ChittyChittyBangBang! : I think you should have a temporary break from the gf during this important time of the year – it can’t be good for your state of mind. :-)

Dawn : If I was here, I didn’t see it Sounds hilarious. Lily Savage is ascerbic, very witty and relies a lot on really crude but funny jokes. Although she says less of them on her TV show. So, quite unlike Dame Edna really. I’m looking forward to the flag pics.

andrea : You know me too well!!

Alan : I suppose Judy is a big shakey so that term could fit.

8:48 am  
Blogger Guyana-Gyal said...

Trinis [Trinidadians] are some of the coolest, most fun lovin' folks you can find. Nice people.

Think calypso, steel pan music, carnival, Peter Minshall whose work was used in the Atlanta Olympics...

11:18 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home