Thursday, June 29, 2006

Forty today



June has beem a very busy month for birthdays. Today, Barclaycard turns 40 and all us wage-slaves have been given little gifts and a piece of cake to celebrate being credit slaves.

So, Barclaycard can be credited with initiating all of this:

  • 282 plastic transactions took place every second in the UK in 2005.
  • Plastic cards were used for 63% of all UK retail spending last year.
  • Total credit card debt in April 2006 was £56.0bn.
  • UK consumers accounting for two-thirds of total credit card debt in the whole of the EU.
  • Plastic cards in issue were 190m in 2004. This works out at an average of 4.1 plastic cards for every adult in the UK.
  • At the end of 2004 there were 74.3m credit and charge cards in the UK compared with around 59 million people in the country.
Happy Birthday Barclaycard!

8 Comments:

Blogger kyknoord said...

So that would make Barclaycard - what? - Cancer? Hmmm... interesting coincidence.

2:38 pm  
Blogger andrea said...

I love the first ad. To think -- all you needed once was a Barclaycard to have the hippest hairdo, bossest turtleneck and loosest chicks. And since all we women want is a bloke with ready spending power, we couldn't have been happier.

I love the '60s.

3:06 pm  
Blogger Moncrief Speaks said...

The UK-as-two-thirds of credit-card debt in the EU statistic is a remarkable one. What accounts for other Europeans' ability to rein it in a bit more, I wonder?

3:15 pm  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

kyknoord : Not being that au fait with astrology I wouldn’t have picked that up. Very interesting coincidence indeed but I really shouldn’t be too critical if they pay me to live, should I?.

andrea : I thought you women wanted a new age man who changes nappies, vacuums the carpets, prepares delicious meals, changes plugs and lightbulbs, mows the lawn and discusses deep, meaningful, spiritual stuff? Oh, and has a large trouser snake. ;-)

Moncrief Speaks : The Brits used to be very conservative about their spending and saving habits but that has completely changed now. The difference between them and the rest of the EU must have something to do with the British financial services industry and, perhaps, government policy?

3:52 pm  
Blogger Bill said...

As one who has no debts of any kind (although I use a few credit cards purely to make payments, usage settled immediately, when my chagre cards are not accepted) this particular anniversary passes me by.

Perhaps the fact that my career was spent as a banker is a clue. Sorry, I've got to go now - that bottle of champagne must be chilled by now ;)

5:56 pm  
Blogger nyasha said...

confession time, i have a Barclaycard and only twenty-five pounds to my name..... but do not intend to cancel it! yeah, happy birthday to my card! :)
was the celebration any good?

8:07 pm  
Blogger Bibi said...

...another former banker (that was my middle career) I have remember the agony of thinking I'd be married to my Barclaycard debt forever. Glad to say, it's long been gone ... and cut up! But Happy b-day anyway. ;-)

4:51 am  
Blogger xmichra said...

hmm. sounds like that caard was an efficent little debt tool. I receintly cancelled my visa, even though the limit was very low.. i couldn't trust myself to be responcible with it. So i cancelled it and cut it up. *sigh*. maybe i will grow up one day.

1:45 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home