June has beem a very busy month for birthdays. Today, Barclaycard turns 40 and all us wage-slaves have been given little gifts and a piece of cake to celebrate being credit slaves.
So, Barclaycard can be credited with initiating all of this:
- 282 plastic transactions took place every second in the UK in 2005.
- Plastic cards were used for 63% of all UK retail spending last year.
- Total credit card debt in April 2006 was £56.0bn.
- UK consumers accounting for two-thirds of total credit card debt in the whole of the EU.
- Plastic cards in issue were 190m in 2004. This works out at an average of 4.1 plastic cards for every adult in the UK.
- At the end of 2004 there were 74.3m credit and charge cards in the UK compared with around 59 million people in the country.