Sunday, May 14, 2006

Veggie mush à la Nomad

veggie mushSometimes I get the urge to consume large quantities of vegetables but I usually run out of steam and will have a fag instead. On occasion, I’ll actually indulge the urge and see what vegetables are still salvageable from the fridge. That’s when I experiment although experiment may sound a bit more adventurous than what actually happens as I tend to stick to one of two ‘tastes’. ‘Oriental usually involves variations on chilli, soya sauce, ginger, garlic, etc. ‘Mediterranean’ tends to consist of variations on chilli, olive oil, garlic, lemon and herbs. Last night’s experiment, yet another ‘Mediterranean taste’, worked out rather well and it gave me an opportunity to see if my camera phone is up to scratch when it comes to food photography. It isn’t! You can judge for yourself.

2 – 3 courgettes (*) sliced into disks
bunch of spring onions chopped, including all the green bits
1 red pepper – chopped into small pieces
2 potatoes – peeled and chopped
Alan’s special sauce
Crushed dried chillies
Crushed garlic (lots)
Salt to taste


Boil the potatoes until tender. Drain water and mix in 2-3 tablespoons of sauce. The potatoes will get ‘sticky’ and turn a pale orange colour.

Heat 2-3 tablespoons of sauce in a wok or saucepan. Add garlic and chopped chillies. Sir-fry the courgettes until most of them begin to darken on each side. Add salt to taste. Stir in the chopped spring onions and stir-fry with the courgettes. After about 5 minutes, stir in the chopped red pepper and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Stir in the potatoes and stir-fry for a further 2-3 minutes.

Serve on own or as an accompaniment.

It’s a really delicious mush and I ate a huge pile of the stuff. There was some left over that I put in the fridge. I plan to heat it up with some diced chouriço and serve in an omelette, sort of like a Spanish omelette.

(*) also known as zucchini or baby marrows

13 Comments:

Blogger nyasha said...

i got too curious and had to come check!! Ó amigo, you have to start a food blog! For real (with the Ali G accent, please!)
It looks like amazing scuff - looks like the blogmeet should be in the Midlands rather than in Denmark!

8:01 pm  
Blogger Saddle Up said...

Looks fantastic :) I'm allergic to peppers but just the thought of those courgettes makes me hungry :)

8:47 pm  
Anonymous xmichra said...

wow, that looks delish!!! The colors really appeal to me. I would love to have dinner with you one day!!

10:27 pm  
Blogger ChittyChittyBangBang! said...

I don't really like to eat veggies, but I get hungry just looking at the pics. Nice!

8:00 am  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

coffee addict: There are several things lacking when it comes to me writing a food blog: decent camera, decent kitchen gadgets and most importantly, a lack of laziness. But, having said that, glad you like the look of the food and think I'm capable of food blogging. Good food blogs can be rather good.

saddle up: I'm intrigued -courgettes make you hungry in which way? ;-)

xmichra: the colours do work well, don't they? As for having dinner with me, do you think you'd manage with the excess quantities of red wine that would be consumed?

chitty: Said like a true straight man: 'I don't really like veggies'! :-)

9:56 am  
Blogger Caroline said...

Do I need to file you under food blog now?

Looks like my kind of experiment. yum!

11:13 am  
Blogger Rob7534 said...

Too much fiber... not enough sugar and fat for my taste!

Although I have to try out your "special sauce" one day. I'll have to whip it up.

1:31 pm  
Blogger Alan said...

Sounds very nice. I must say that your cooking is very good and I only hope that I get to sample it (your cooking that is) again soon.

4:14 pm  
Blogger Saddle Up said...

Hungry in that I love 'em fried in butter. I am dribbling at thought :)

8:06 pm  
Blogger justin said...

That looks great. Mrs C and I are fish-eating vegetarians (which sounds contradictory), so we eat loads of veg. I'll try out your recipe.
I like your photos - you've got a brilliant phone camera.

12:29 am  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

caroline: I happy fit into many files so file me where you want!

rob: good idea but there's no sugar in my sauce so you may not like it. :-)

alan: play your cards right and you may yet taste it (my food) again.

saddleup: add garlic...ADD garlic!!

justin: my veggie mush would go very well with fish. Don't fry the courgettes too long as some texture to them is important

8:52 am  
Blogger Rob7534 said...

I heard you had some "Sugar in your tank" Nomad. Don't ask from whom, as you know I do not gossip!

11:30 am  
Blogger Saddle Up said...

Marry me Nomad :) Garlic courgettes... mmmmm... *dribbles*

7:11 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home