Wednesday, May 03, 2006

G & M get married

It was a busy weekend for me and gay 'weddings'. First it was Mike and Kevin in Nottingham, then it was G & M in London.

I've known G since we were medical students together in 1977. He's been with M for 18 years and there was a time when I 'counselled' G's mother about his gayness and the fact that he was living with M. She worked quite near to me in Cape Town city centre and we'd meet for lunch at the restaurant in Stuttaford's Town Square (long gone). It took a very long time for her to be accepting of it all and everything seemed to be going really well after their millennium party but there was a major setback last year where she starting asking him about girlfriends that featured in his past. On hearing that they were going to get married she expressed utter dismay and she refused to be at the ceremony.

Although London isn't that far away, I don't get to see G & M that often so I've not blogged about them much. While staying in Surrey when unemployed, I referred to a dinner party at their place and I mentioned the reference letter he wrote so that I could secure my job.

Lots of their friends, some from really far away, were there and it was a touching affair, far more traditional than I'd expected. But, while there may have been a 'wedding cake', the handing out of dope-laden chocolate truffles towards the end of the evening ensured that there was more than one break with tradition.

A number of us spent the night there and had a very leisurely Sunday morning sitting in the sun, nursing hangovers while we drank tea and ate wedding cake. I left later that day to spend the rest of the weekend with the T, Barber of Pinna, as he's referred to by G and M. He liked seeing the pics I took of the event but took special interest in the one of the painting on the mantlepiece.

Mantlepiece with cardsWedding CakeExchanging Rings

16 Comments:

Blogger frobisher said...

How Lovely!

Yay! Im first!

*wonders if they do that on here*

10:30 pm  
Blogger whatalotoffun said...

How lovely. Bet you that was the best wedding cake you ever had. We like to make cakes to. Its the best. Only ate cake after all the main guest left I presume

10:13 am  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

frobisher: all sorts of things happen here but I'll admit that that's a first!

whatalotoffun: the dope cakes were very mild but still nice. The picture of the cake is not the dope cake.

10:29 am  
Blogger Caroline said...

Great pictures - your phone is doing your proud!

Sounds like you had a lot of fun...

10:31 am  
Blogger Qenny said...

What a faaaaabulous cake, even though looking at it makes my teeth feel a bit worried.

Looks like a lovely venue, too.

12:24 pm  
Blogger nyasha said...

now there is an original cake! so, are G&M nomads like you, i assume?

after 18 years, one would think the mother would have gotten used to the idea. shame she couldn't make it... but you all partied til the cows came home and that's the best part about weddings! getting together with friends and have a ´GOOD time :)
thanks for the meme, i had fun doing it!

12:46 pm  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

qenny: I avoided the icing but the inside was quite acceptable on the teeth. The ceremony venue was Westminster something or other, apparently a rather famous wedding venue. The party venue was their house in Crouch End.

coffee addict: great shame about G's mother. I wonder if she'll ever get used to the idea? G is South African but has been here for over twenty years and has no intention of leaving; Martin is English. They travel a lot but aren't nomads as such.

Let me go see your meme answers

1:03 pm  
Blogger Phidoux said...

I have to comment as well on that cake - that's amazing work! Reminds me of that British tv show - we get here in the states on bbc - it has animated animals talking and things like that - very cool.

Jeff

3:16 pm  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

Wallace and Gromit is the one I think you're thinking about, phidoux.

8:10 pm  
Blogger Tammy said...

That cake by far takes the cake - it is awesome. wish the couple every happiness in the world as they continue their journey together.

12:52 am  
Blogger Rob7534 said...

I want a dope cake for my wedding too! If I ever get married, or whatever they call it at least. My mom would love it, I'm sure.

5:49 am  
Anonymous xmichra said...

I agree, looks like the animated grommit and walace for sure! But it is very cool.
I am not a fan of the painting so much as the color. It is beautiful.. and the tulips are just amazing.

Who is the person in the left hand corner wearing that huge white hat??

4:49 pm  
Blogger LiVEwiRe said...

It all looks gorgeous but that wedding cake, well, takes the cake! =) I love it! Creative, appropriate, and most likely tasty! Glad you got to share in the event.

4:46 am  
Blogger Dawn said...

The cake is just the best! Very Wallace and Grommy, indeed! I lived in London for 7 years and the English take on life that can be very enchanting. I would love to have a wedding that breaks from tradition and allows dope cookies to be served but finds a balance that still reflects my heritage. Sounds like these two lovelies achieved just that. I must admit that big white hat in the bottom left corner of that pic also had me asking, "Who wore that hat?" Mazal Tov, Congrats Mate, Beste Wense, or what ever - love, peace and happiness to the couple!

11:41 pm  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

Tammy: it really was a lovely cake. Just the sort of cake (it wasn’t the dope cake!) to get a married couple started on a good footing.

Rob: I’m sure there’s no reason why you can’t have it when you eventually get properly hitched.

Xmichra: That painting has a rather chequered career when it comes up to the things I’ve got up to in the past! They bought it in Zimbabwe – I’m not that great a fan of it although it looks good in their sitting room. The person in the huge hat is M’s best friend from university. She was one of the two female ‘best men’.

Livewire: it was delicious but seemed such a shame to eat into it.

Dawn: seems like all of you loved the cake…so did everyone there! I was surprised by that huge hat but A carried it off with flair. She seemed to change clothes a lot that day and was almost found inflagrante delicto towards the end of the evening…how scandalous, straight people almost having sex in the company of respectable gay men! :-)

9:08 am  
Anonymous converting youtube to mp3 said...

They met their fate. We can see clearly that sometimes the most weird things could seem normal when we are talking about someone's happyness. I hope they will be happy! I wish them good luck!

11:48 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home