Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Flags come and go

Something interesting happened to this blog on Sunday, possibly a bit of a milestone of sorts. My flag counter showed, for the first time, that Canadian visitors exceeded South African ones. I find it quite strange as I only know of two regular Canadian readers, Andrea and Xmichra, whereas I have quite a number of South Africans who are regulars.

Who are the rest, I wonder?

Ironically, Andrea may have contributed to the Canadians taking over as she sent me the clip of 'Hotdogs for Homophobes' that I posted a few weeks ago. The post has recently been linked to milkandcookies and, as a result, I’ve been getting a lot more hits than I usually do.

Who would have thought that Andrea was so sneakily competitive? :-)

Sticking to the subject of flags, a mild obsession of mine, let me return to the subject of a previous post – the lowering of Ghana’s flag in the list of visiting nations.

There was a time when I wondered who my regular visitor from Ghana was until I realised that it was my friend Felicitas in Maputo, Mozambique. Both sitemeter and neoounter identified her ISP as being from Ghana. Once I realised it was her, I always knew when she’d been reading my blog, something she did 2-3 times a week. Her suicide note to me and its contents were a shock that unsettled me for a while and I said that I’d try to find out more and, at some stage, do a follow-up post. That post still needs to be written. At the time, however, I mentioned that whether I wanted to forget her or not, I’d be reminded of her every time I looked at my blog. My obsession with my flag counter means that I always look at it every time I log on so I’m constantly aware of not having had a reader from ‘Ghana’ since Felicitas committed suicide. Three days after getting the note, I said:

At one stage, the only countries ahead of Ghana were the US, UK, South Africa, Canada and France. Since her death, the number of hits from Ghana has stayed static at 35 and Australia has moved ahead of Ghana.

Now, almost three months later, Ghana (still static at 35), has slipped into 15th place. There are quite a few other countries with 35 readers so they will be overtaking Ghana soon.

I really couldn’t have a more poignant reminder of her death.

10 Comments:

Blogger Caroline said...

It is traditional to fly a flag at half-mast as a sign of mourning isn't it?

9:41 am  
Blogger nyasha said...

It is a sad reminder indeed... I went back to February to read the whole story.
Btw, i am intrigued, what is the blue flag "Europe" refer to? Does it mean that Durão Barroso is reading your blog?

11:30 am  
Anonymous xmichra said...

hmmm... that it very sad. One of your fondest things (flags) tied in with a loss. Very sad indeed. ((hugs))

1:47 pm  
Blogger andrea said...

Oh no! You've discovered that my zen-like demeanour is all a ruse! Now that I've been outed I'll have to call in the big guns in an effort to outwit, outplay and outlast Kyknoord and your other SA followers.

Sorry about reminding you of your freind from Ghana though...

6:12 pm  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

caroline: it is indeed, so it's very apt.

coffee addict: I've no idea but you could be right about Barroso being lurker here.

xmichra: sometimes it's good not to forget so having a reminder is not necessarily a bad thing.

andrea: I think you don't need any big guns, the 'damage' has been done! :-) As for reminding me of my friend from Mozambique (not Ghana), it has nothing to do with you so no need to apologise.

10:19 pm  
Blogger Frog with a Blog said...

Since i first read the story of Felicitas, I've regularly been looking at the same thing on your flag board and I've been kind of hoping that some mysterious reader from Ghana would appear in order to make figures change and enable you to forget this sad story. But I guess, Felicitas is still a reader somehow, by seeing the number stay on 35 is a way to show that she's still around, if you see what I mean.

What amazes me is that a red spot on your readers' map showed in Ghana for a while but then disappeared. Puzzling...

11:34 pm  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

I do see what you mean.

It is puzzling that it disappeared. However, the red spot on Ghana would not have been there for all 35 reads as I only installed that map a week or so before she died. Not that that explains why the spot went away, I know.

8:53 am  
Anonymous silent_songster said...

I live in Canada and added your blog to my daily reads about a month or so ago. I believe that I came here via Troubled Diva but the old memory cells are faulty.

I was unaware of the Felicitas story until today. Sad.

10:28 am  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

Hi silent songster, thanks for popping by. It could well have been TD that led you here. It was Mike (TD) who got me blogging and he's a good friend in real life.

10:39 am  
Blogger whatalotoffun said...

Ok lets try again since yesterday I can not leave a comment on your blog your blog just freeze. (If you dont like me its fine just tell me ok.?LOL)I can see that the whole episode is not an finished episode. You still think of her alot and the whole bad episode. There is a girl that committed suicide last week she had a blog to but not on ours still trying to get the blog. if you can read afrikaans (IM sure you can) go to www.dieburger.co.za "Ek moet nou rus". HOw do you do the flag thingie got the rest.

12:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home