Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Tragedy

President Mugabe is visiting a primary school and he visits one of the classes. They are in the middle of a discussion related to words and their meanings. The teacher asks the president if he would like to lead the discussion on the word "tragedy".

So the illustrious leader asks the class for an example of a "tragedy".

One little boy stands up and offers: "If my best friend, who lives on a farm, is playing in the field and a war vet comes along and knocks him dead with a log, that would be a tragedy."

"No," says Mugabe," that would be an accident."

A little girl raises her hand: "If a school bus carrying 50 children drove over a cliff, killing everyone inside, that would be a tragedy."

"I'm afraid not," explains the president. "That's what we would call a great loss."

The room goes silent. No other children volunteer. Mugabe searches the room. "Isn't there someone here who can give me an example of a tragedy?"

Finally at the back of the room a small boy raises his hand. In a quiet voice he says: "If a Zimbabwe Air Force jet carrying Mr Mugabe were struck by a missile and blown to smithereens that would be a tragedy."

"Fantastic!" exclaims Mugabe. "That's right. And can you tell me why that would be tragedy?"

"Well," says the boy, "because it certainly wouldn't be a great loss and it probably wouldn't be an accident either."

13 Comments:

Blogger andrea said...

Har de har. I must remember to apply that to a certain Canadian politician...

5:48 pm  
Blogger Caroline said...

Very funny!

Sometimes tragedy and comedy are intimiately linked.

6:11 pm  
Anonymous xmichra said...

OH DEAR! I laughed so loud my cubicle mate had to have a look at this too!

7:26 pm  
Anonymous patita said...

beautiful!

eerily similar to how I was taught about tragedy, minus the presence of a war criminal.

8:25 pm  
Blogger Frog with a Blog said...

Brilliant! How's Mr. Mugabe by the way? Still going completely crazy? Knocking down white farmers with a log calling it an accident?

8:30 pm  
Blogger rhino75 said...

Good to have you back Nomad!!

12:52 am  
Blogger Babsbitchin said...

Oh shit, that's just not right lol! Nomad, where in the sam hill have you been you lil' bugger?

2:29 am  
Blogger whatalotoffun said...

LOL. somebody give that child a choclate

8:20 am  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

Mad Bob is still driving his country into the ground. Most of the white farmers have been driven off their farms but one of his best buddies is the father of Prince Harry's girlfriend, a man whose wildlife business interests have recently been exposed as being excessively cruel to the animals being hunted by foreign trophy hunters.

babs: I've been around just not spending time in the blogosphere. I think I'm back again.

1:37 pm  
Blogger Guyana-Gyal said...

Snicker snicker, how I wish somebody could tell this to Mugabe.

6:16 pm  
Blogger angel said...

oh i SO agree with that little kid!
happy cleavage day... i spose bob has banned that over there too?!?!!

7:24 am  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

I hadn't heard of cleavage day until you mentioned it. There was nothing on the news here that I was aware of.

7:50 am  
Blogger BUDDESS said...

What a great laugh this gave me. Have missed you Nomad. What happened to my interview? Have you just forgotten about me sitting under my desk here or are you still gathering infor?

9:19 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home