Monday, April 10, 2006

Another red wine story

My red wine posts seem to be quite popular and I occasionally get requests for more of them. Rob is the latest reader to prod me in the direction of posting more in the ‘series’. I suppose I can understand why people like reading about the sometimes funny, often sordid behaviour I indulge in when under the influence of a bit too much of the red stuff but if any of you really had my well-being at heart, you’d be discouraging these stories.

But, in the interests of keeping you happy, I’ll tell you about red wine and the weekend that has just passed.
I got home quite early on Friday night and I wasn’t too cold, tired or lazy to go t o Tesco’s to do some long-needed grocery shopping. It still being early, most of the other shops were open so I wandered into Woolworths and bought a lemon squeezer (I’ve not had one since I threw the old one out as I’d been using it as an ashtray), a stainless steel mixing bowl and a potato masher. God, I hate that shop – I really can’t see the point for its existence.! But seeing their crappy selection of DVDs reminded me that HMV was having a sale next door. I backtracked and went to wander around the aisles in HMV. Twenty minutes later, I was walking into Tesco’s, the proud owner of ‘Withnail and I’, ‘Brief Encounter’ and ‘The Descent’. An hour later, I was walking out of Tesco's, the proud owner of six heavy shopping bags of groceries that were cutting into my hands.
woolworthshmvTwo bottles of red wine lurked somewhere in those bags.

I don’t watch that much telly but Friday night is Green Wing night so I seldom leave the flat before 10.30. I’d drunk a bottle of red by then, it was cold and wet outside and none of the usual suspects were going to be out – I almost succumbed to the urge to stay in. I went to the pub instead.

I succumbed to the urge to go clubbing an hour and a half later.

It’s at this point that lovers of my red wine tales will start getting interested. Who or what is he going to land up in bed with this time? Will he remember what he did or didn’t do? Will he remember at all? Perhaps he’ll have a threesome or, god forbid, go home with a woman?

After an hour and several more pints of beer, I could safely be said to be drunk. I’d seen several people I know and chatted to them while splashing them with beer. And there was enough beer-goggles-assisted eye candy to perk up my interest. All that notwithstanding, I suddenly got bored and went home. Alone.

Boring, I know. I’m sorry.

11 Comments:

Blogger Rob7534 said...

No apologies, you win some, you lose some. What's your favorite brand of red wine by the way?

11:00 am  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

Actually, I wasn't entirely truthful in that post. I did get bored and I did leave alone. However, on the way home, I got chatting to someone in the street. He accompanied me home. :-)

But, in terms of 'red wine behaviour', it doesn't really feature as everything was remembered. And, anyway, we just talked crap for hours as opposed to have wild, rampant sex for hours.

I don't really have a favourite red wine. In South AFrica, I tend to stick to tried and tested favourite S African wines. Here in the UK, there's such a vast selection that I tend to try different wines all the time. I like rioja a lot and I'm quite fond of the New Zealand reds. When I take red wine to friends, I usually take South African because I know them better and out of patriotic passion or whatever you want to call it.

Are you fond of the stuff too?

11:57 am  
Blogger Frog with a Blog said...

Lemon squeezer used as an ash-tray. How decadent!
I've never been disappointed by a South African Red, I know I shouldn't say that as some people in my country have been beheaded for less, but I love South African wines.
Unfortunately, they aren't that widespread in French stores. Most French people don't even know South Africa produces wines anyway.

3:10 pm  
Blogger whatalotoffun said...

SA mainly Cape Town and Paarl is know for the wine routes. My best red wine is Tussies the cheapest but the nicest. Nederburg Red can go to. Mr Froggie and Nomad what is your favourite SA Red wine. If you can blog about the wine routes in Cape Town.

3:53 pm  
Anonymous patita said...

Proper food shopping, buying domestic goods and no alcohol-fueled wild sex?! you're starting to sound like the way my weeks go!

11:33 pm  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

blogfrog: I thought you knew I was decadent by now?

whatalotoffun: I don't really have a favourite but I do like buying wine at winefarms along the wine route. I particularly like the Robertson wines and the wine route through that part of the country.

patita: I'm exchanging my decadent, louche, wayward life for one of suburban domestic bliss. NOT! :-)

8:39 am  
Blogger Rob7534 said...

I'm more partial to the sweeter wines, and haven't found a red that I really like. I don't care for the dry bitter taste, so I stick to the dessert wines, the port and brandy stuff.

But I am quite partial to the blush zinfindales, but they aren't really red or white.

Having said that, I haven't had any real expensive wine, everything I've tasted was relatively cheap, so I'm assuming that might be a major factor to the equation.

Since you got me thinking about wine, Plum Wine! YUM! I love that stuff.

9:37 am  
Blogger Babsbitchin said...

I want some wine. I love red wine but it tends to give me a hard hangover as opposed to white but I prefer red for the taste. I have a nice bottle of wine that was just given to me froma friend at the vineyards on Long Island. I've had LI wines before, never this one so I saving it for a pleasant evening. I've never had SA wine, Nomad do you ever drink any American wine?
Sorry you were home alone. Did you sleep in your bed or on the sofa, davenport, devan,couch?xoxo

1:58 pm  
Blogger miss tango in her eyes said...

I need more red wine stories!

4:32 pm  
Anonymous patita said...

the day you say you're chucking it for a suburban lifestyle is a) when we know we need to send a doctor around, or b) april fool's.

I'm not much of a wine drinker but I have been fond of this one: http://www.bullyhill.com/descred.asp?id=15

and sangria. mmmm sangria!

5:11 pm  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

rob: what's plum wine and why is it so delicious? At home in S Africa, I often make orange wine, sometimes guava wine. It's much stronger than commercial grape wine (sort of between wine and sherry) but is absolutely delicious.

babs: look out for S African wine the next time you buy some...a lot of them are really good. I don't know American wines very well but I do know that the Napa valley produces some excellent ones. As for where I sleep, I've not slept anywhere else other than my bed since abandoning the sofa a few weeks ago.

miss tango: thanks for popping by! This being a long weekend, there may be another red wine story coming up for you soon. Watch this space! :-)

patita: i love sangira too, especially on hot summer's days.

12:14 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home