Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Going out with more than a bottle of red under the belt

south african winesDrinking too much the night before and waking up with someone whom you think is someone else or not remembering having taken someone home with you is bad, right?

Of course it's bad, that's why I resolved not to go out having consumed a bottle of red beforehand after having done both in the space of a couple of weeks.

Bunged up with a heavy cold, I thought of staying in on Friday even though Mike and Michelle were going to be out after going to a gig together. So when James rang me about joining him for a drink after work, I turned him down. Two hours later, at about 7, we exchanged a few text messages:

James: I'm bored, let me bring round a hot toddy to make you feel better.
Alan: Wine sounds like a better idea, what time will you be here?
James: Half an hour from now.

By the time we left the flat to meet up with Mike and Michelle, it was 10.30 and we'd finished 2.5 bottles of red between us. A joined us at some stage. By closing time, James and Michelle had decided to call it a night and Mike, A and I went off to the club. It would have been the first time that I'd been there in almost a month but the doormen were turning people away as there'd been a powercut. We went off to the Central instead.

It was crowded, really crowded!

With no club to go to, everyone had decamped there for the night. For the first time in its sorry life, it was pumping. The atmosphere was great! I don't remember leaving but I'm sure that it was before closing time at 3.

I woke up at about 10. I was in my bed, alone.

Walking through to the bathroom, I expected to see D either sitting or sleeping on the couch. There was no sign of him. Although it would've been unusual, I wondered if he'd gone off to the shop but noticed that there was no sign of him having been there the night before. D isn't the sort of person to leave without having told me he was going.

I started re-playing the previous night's events and realised that he hadn't been there at all.

Unusually for a Friday night, D hadn't been out and spent the night with me. Unusually, I'd spent the night in my bed and not on the couch - I've mentioned before that, these days, I never sleep in my bed unless with somebody.

I think that I need to re-visit that list of resolutions of what not to do over a weekend.

9 Comments:

Blogger Caroline said...

Doesn't sound like resolutions of what not to do are working for you. Try making some that you want to do!

9:28 pm  
Blogger xmichra said...

still.. sounds like a blast. Hope you regain your memory!!

2:32 am  
Blogger Babsbitchin said...

There is nothing worse than a red wine hangover. I drank a wee bit too much myself this past weekend and am cured till...this weekend probably.
Nomad, do you have an English accent? You have such an ecclectic background but when I read your posts, I tend to do it as if with an accent. Yes, I admit I'm touched but better touched than retouched, right? Did that make sense at all? xoxo
PS I like the calender thing and I always learn something from your posts. See, I figured out when you think you know everything, you become stagnant, arrogant and bloody boring,eh?

2:37 am  
Anonymous patita said...

it does sound like a blast (especially despite a nasty cold)! and a phantom in the bed!

4:39 am  
Blogger whatalotoffun said...

Red wine hangover is bad it does give you a bit memory loss. Hope you can remember what happend. Let us know!

7:45 am  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

caroline: there is a lot of sense to that but I'm hopeless at keeping to resolutions, whether positive or negative.

xmichra: it's all back but there are some gaps that will never return!

babs: I have a very mild south african accent. In South Africa, people usually think I'm British, in the UK, I sometimes get accused of talking 'posh' but after a few minutes, people detect something foreign. Those who know S A accents can usually pick it up.

I hope that helps you use the right accent when you read my posts!

As for the calendar thing - while half asleep this morning, I heard something on the news about it being the 100th anniversary of the perm. Just tried to google it but couldn't get confirmation of it being today.

patita: better to have a phantom in the bed than no one at all, eh?

whatalotoffun: I love red wine despite the hangovers! Nothing else really happened but I did get to have D stay over on Saturday night, a change from the routine of his usual Friday stay over.

8:21 am  
Blogger whatalotoffun said...

My first taste of Red wine was in Paarl. Our friends live there. Red Wine and cheeses every time we went visiting. She works on a wine farm and him for a cheese factory. We started a game who ever's glass is finished the rest must down there glass irrespectively if its half or still full. I was caught with my glass full all the time. I did not feel drunk but called "Ralf" (puking my lungs out)for a long time. Now I enjoy Red Wine but dont drink too much off it because of the hangovers I get the next day

11:03 am  
Blogger JP said...

I think the problem is that you stopped drinking between sessions; where is your commitment?

2:09 pm  
Blogger andrea said...

How do you do it? Long ago the hangovers were enough to put a stop to my nocturnal antics. I just couldn't face them any longer.

3:35 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home