Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Lowering the flag each day

Thank you all for the considered, thought-provoking comments in response to the suicide of my friend Felicitas. She is being cremated today. In a few week’s time, her friends will scatter her ashes in a small ceremony at a favourite place accompanied by a bottle of Jamieson whiskey and the Rolling Stones.

Ironically, this blog, which she read regularly and found so egotistical, will remind me of her daily.

Each time I look at my ‘flag counter’, something I do every time I log on, I’ll notice how many hits I've had from Ghana. As I’ve said before, neocounter misinterpreted Felicitas’ ISP as being from Ghana as opposed to Mozambique. At one stage, the only countries ahead of Ghana were the US, UK, South Africa, Canada and France. Since her death, the number of hits from Ghana has stayed static at 35 and Australia has moved ahead of Ghana. As time goes by, unless someone else using an ISP identified as Ghanaian starts frequenting this blog, Ghana’s flag will dip lower and lower.

The irony of the constantly dipping flag being my daily reminder of her is the sort of thing that would have appealed to Felicitas’ sense of humour.

7 Comments:

Anonymous xmichra said...

once again, i am so sorry for your loss Alan. Hope that you start to feel a little metter in the coming days. ((hugs))

2:22 pm  
Blogger Caroline said...

I can see the wry side of that as the flag slowly dips down... glad you can too.

3:19 pm  
Blogger portuguesa nova said...

I concur with xmichra.

3:24 pm  
Blogger Guyana-Gyal said...

What happened to her family?

How are you, today?

4:08 pm  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

Thanks for the hugs and concern, everyone. I feel a lot better but still keep thinking a lot about her.

She has no family in Mozambique apart from two ex-husbands. She had no children. I don't know if she had any other family apart from her father who lives in East Germany.

5:59 pm  
Anonymous hanum said...

Flag counter is simple and low bandwidth use than Feedjit live traffic feed;)

5:18 am  
Anonymous Howard said...

Gosh, there's a lot of helpful information above!
Tampa events | strappy heels | girls in bathing suits

9:21 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home