Friday, February 17, 2006

An Interviewing Divide

Although quite a bit of effort is involved in doing a good job of being an interviewer for the Interview Meme, I rather enjoy it. It’s especially enjoyable if the blog-owner being interviewed owns a blog that's a relatively new read as it gets you trawling through all of the blog’s archives so as to be able to ask pertinent questions. So often when you discover a new blog that becomes a regular read, you don’t have the time or, possibly, the inclination to read everything that has been written since the blog started.

Apparently this meme has been doing the rounds for a few years now but I first discovered it on Gay Banker's blog. He puts a lot of effort into his interviews so his questions and the answers to them are great to read. So far, he’s interviewed 5 people including me.

I’ve just finished my second interview and have another in the pipeline. In comparing our interviewees, there's a distinct difference. All of his are gay males whereas all of mine are straight females.

Both of us are gay, so why the dramatic divide?

I suppose the answer lies in the subject matter of our respective blogs.

His is almost entirely devoted to sexual matters, his ‘illicit’ sexual encounters in particular. Although mine often proffers relatively explicit evidence of my rather promiscuous ways, it covers a wide range of things such as my past, my present, my interests, commentary on current affairs, etc. I have a diverse readership that includes lesbians, gay men and straights of both sexes. All of them make comments from time to time, including the straight males when I’m writing about gay sex. I wonder if they’re gritting their teeth when they read such stuff? *insert smile here*. But, despite Gay Banker’s blog mostly being about gay sex, his readership is pretty wide too. I don’t know if he has any straight male readers but he certainly has quite a number of straight female ones.

Why do you think only gay males volunteer to be interviewed by him?

Why do you think only straight females volunteer to be interviewed by me?

Incidentally, I’m not heterophobic, homocentric, misogynist, sexist or whatever so treat the above as an observation and not a complaint. And while I enjoy interviewing, it’s also not an invitation for a flood of volunteers asking to be interviewed.

8 Comments:

Anonymous xmichra said...

yiesh.. i tried commenting earlier butmy connection got lost!

So, I also lost what ever witty comment was lurking in my cortex... so I will just leave that all alone. heh.

maybe you have more strait women asking you for interviews because strait men may be intimidated. gay men may like GB's style of interview better (his is much more.. explicit shall we say), and gay women might just be the same as gay men in this instance. But who knows.
All I know, is that I found your site, like the way you wrote and figured it would be a hoot to be interviewed. I came accross GB's site first, but I figured he would have been bored trying to figure out questions for me.. I am not that colorful. So I stuck with you. How lucky huh?? hehe

1:09 am  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

Of course I'm lucky to have been given the opportunity to interview you!

Sorry to hear about blogger losing your witty remarks - bloody annoying when it does that.

As regards missing stuff, according to my email, PJ asked to be interviewed but his comment isn't showing here so I'll wait to see if he posts it again.

If he does, that will be the first gay interview....I wonder if I'll manage to intimidate him? :-)

2:43 pm  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

Oops, silly me, the comment is in another place!!

2:45 pm  
Blogger Clare said...

Oooh, an interviewing meme!

I had this idea a while back. I was goign to try and make it happen... ah well, it's a good idea. It's not surprising someone else beat me to it.

4:39 pm  
Blogger Clare said...

P.S. I would love to be interviewed, but equally I'd love it to be the other way round. I went through a spate of interviewing people on a forum I belong to, and the results were fascinating. You're right though, it takes a lot of time and effort.

As to the identity of your interviewees... straight women do love gay men, but not all gay men are amenable to this. Maybe this explains it?

4:44 pm  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

Clare, so the deal is that I interview you and you interview me? Sounds like a good deal to me even though I've been interviewed once before. However, that will make you third in the queue of outstanding interviews and I'm being a bit slow about getting them done. So, if you don't mind a bit of a wait, the deal is on.

I think your explanation of the 'interviewing divide' is probably exactly the reason for it. Silly of me not to have thought of that before!

5:44 pm  
Blogger Clare said...

Yeah, let's do that. Reciprocal interviewing. God knows whether it's the 'official' way of doing it, but rulebooks are for tearing up.

I'm quite glad to hear you say it'll take a while, cos I'm a bit over-committed myself, too...

Just email / comment me when you're ready to do it. We could do something like trade qus - you email me with a qu, I email you back with an answer and another qu... or we could just ask them all in one go. Which is probably how we're supposed to do it.

And of course, now that I think about it, I did an interview meme about a year ago, which probably means that I never had the idea at all - I just liked the similarity of it with my other interviewing project when I did it.

Not only do I steal other people's ideas, I've also been known to claim other people's experiences as my own. But in my defence, I don't do it on purpose - I just have a crap memory. Apparently John Peel used to do it too, so I'm in good company.

8:16 pm  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

Ok, I shall let you know when I'm ready or approaching readiness.

Although I never experienced the greatness of John Peel and know next to nothing about him, I know enough that should you be in his company, you are in good company indeed.

9:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home