Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Interview questions for Xmichra

It’s taken me a long time to get round to this but better late than never as the saying goes. After answering the interview questions set to me by Gay Banker, I posted the rules of this interview meme (see below) one of which states that the interviewee (me in this case) is willing to interview anyone else who requests to be interviewed.

I got one request.

xmichraXmichra is a relatively new read of mine. I came across her when planting my flag on Rob's map and then went on to plant my flag on hers. Talk about spreading one's seed, I mean, staking one's claims! Xmichra has been blogging for a few years now, firstly on livejournal, then blogspot. But, in the past few weeks, she’s grown up and gone all fancy by using Wordpress on her own domain.

There’s a lot of quite personal information to be found all over the place, some of it easily found in posts such as ‘100 things about me’. In many of her posts she is not afraid to wear her heart on her sleeve and she reveals many of her beliefs, desires and worries. As you go through her archives, you get a sense of the real person behind the writing slowly developing a relationship with her as you would with a new friend. So, in a way, asking her five pertinent questions for which the answers don’t already appear on her blog, is not all that easy but I’ll do my best.

Before I do that, let me summarise Xmichra into a few sentences, a sort of pigeon-holing exercise that, by its very nature, cannot do justice to her but is helpful to readers who haven't read her blog:

Xmichra is a Canadian woman who's rapidly approaching 30 and is married to Mike with whom she’s been with for almost 10 years. Although she has a fulltime job, the major focus of her life is her 2-year old daughter, Kira. While being a deeply spiritual person, Xmichra isn’t a Christian and, in fact, does not believe in God or the devil. Interests of hers include music, computer games, celebrities (particularly Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie!), going out dancing and having fun (doesn’t happen that often), etc. She comes across as someone who’d make a very true and loyal friend but who would distance herself from those whose actions show them to be undeserving of her friendship. Just recently, as she approaches the big Three O, Xmichra seems to be having a few self-doubts related to where she is in her life.

Ok, now for the questions.

Xmichra, they’re the sort that could take forever to answer if you think too hard so you may just want to note down the first thoughts that cross your mind on reading them. However, don't let me influence you, approach them as you want.

Question 1: You don’t believe in the Christian god or devil but you believe in magic. I can see that your interests while growing up and the interests you have now make you a sort of ‘new ager’, someone who believes in forces and spirits intrinsic to the earth and universe. This strikes me as a very undisciplined/unstructured religion or set of beliefs. There isn’t anything wrong with that but don’t you think that a moral and spiritual framework based on such a set of beliefs is lacking when compared to the traditional religions?

Question2: I think that you believe in the equality of men and women and don’t believe in following traditional roles yet you seem to be the person who does most (all?) the cooking and cleaning as well as tending to Kira. Is this true? If true, why is this the case? Does it bother you?

Question 3: Your life has been fulfilled by Kira but you talk about being scared to have another child. It seems that some medical issues may prevent you from conceiving easily. If you can’t conceive another would this bother you? Would adoption ever be a consideration?

Question 4: You were really cut up by your friend Rob’s inconsiderate druggy behaviour in March 2005. Have things changed or are you estranged now? At what point do you let old friends go when their lives take a radically different path to the one you follow?

Question 5: You seem really taken up by computer games although there are times when you don’t have as much time for them as you had in the past. It may be too early to think of these things but how are you going to limit Kira’s desire to play them should she get really addicted? Or maybe you won’t?

For those of you who may want to be interviewed in this fashion, here are the Official Interview Games Rules:

  • If you want to participate, leave a comment below saying, "interview me".
  • I will respond by asking you five questions - each persons will be different.
  • You will update your journal/blog with the answers to the questions.
  • You will include this explanation and an offer to interview others in the same post.
  • When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.

UPDATE: Go here to read Xmichra's excellent replies to my rather probing questions.

13 Comments:

Blogger xmichra said...

I have my answers up now. Much harder than I thought... very good questions! I do appologize for legth though.. you asked some really good 'we should have coffee' questions!

2:01 am  
Blogger Rob7534 said...

Great questions Nomad! I can't wait to read X's reply.

To clarify, I am NOT the "inconsiderate druggy" Rob who Xmichra is friends with offline. I am the "inconsiderate, somewhat slutty, yet quite considerate, empathic, and friendly" Rob who brought these two together via my wonderful Bravenet Map!

Juat an FYI :)

8:53 am  
Blogger Caroline said...

Wow what a wonderful posting!

How many interviews are you prepared to do? All that research....

10:52 am  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

xmichra: You did a great job! And so quickly too if my calculations as regards time differences are correct. Sorry about getting your husband's name wrong.

rob: I hope you have been to read xmichra's excellent replies?

caroline: the nature of the meme is that if someone requests to be interviewed, you have to interview them. Gay banker has interviewed about 4 people now...lots of work! So, if you're interested, let me know....

1:11 pm  
Blogger Caroline said...

I'm interested... but I really don't want to put pressure on you...

6:37 pm  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

Caroline, is that a 'yes' or a 'no'? Don't be so English and polite! :-)

7:27 pm  
Blogger Caroline said...

But I am English and polite! (okay its a yes! Thank you!)

9:51 pm  
Blogger xmichra said...

trust me caroline, you are in good hands! I loved the questions.. it made me sit back and think about how I write and how much of 'me' is really out there. Alan did a terrific job picking out questions that were neither too invasive but very informative for answers.

It actually only took me a few hours, but I wanted to read the questions, digest them a little then reply. I think I proof read it a hundred time.. and I still managed to mess up the grammar!!

FYI Rob - A big thank you for bringing me to this site (Alans great) and for your own! Both of you are wonderful reads...

3:27 am  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

caroline: good, glad to hear that you want to be interrogated. It may take a while before I get the questions prepared but I'll let you know as soon as they are.

xmichra: you say the nicest things! perhaps you'll go to heaven after all? :-)

2:16 pm  
Blogger Caroline said...

Take your time - fortunately I've only been blogging since September, but I have got more than one blog... including 25 facts about me stashed in a group blog... at least the blogs are are all listed in my profile.

And apparently khzok!

7:21 pm  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

More than one blog? That's just plain greedy!

nspww for me - doesn't make any sense at the moment but i haven't had anything to drink yet.

8:24 pm  
Blogger BUDDESS said...

You did such a wonderful job on the interview that I am tempted to say "interview me". Ok, I said it. I also have 2 blogs so good luck!!

8:58 am  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

Ok,that's two of you with more than one blog. Never mind, it will keep me out of mischief.

It may take a while before I get there but you'll eventually get interviewed.

9:30 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home