Wednesday, February 08, 2006

I never learn!

That rant about religious fundamentalism was part of the pub conversation I was having with Mike last night. It was very much a spur-of-the-moment decision to meet up as he won’t be around much for the next few weeks while he’s working in London. Before going out to meet him, I got a few text messages from D asking to meet up. I told him I was meeting Mike but that I’d be able to see him about 11 if that were not too late for him. He said it may be but that I should ring him when I got home.

After one drink at The Peacock surrounded by several very large, loud women, we moved on to Lord Roberts. D was there, sat at a table with a friend. We went and sat in our own corner. D joined us about half an hour later.

He was rather drunk and in full flow.

Not really the best thing to be faced with at 11 on a school night. But, I’d said that I’d meet him and despite apprehension about how I’d feel in the morning, lust overruled common sense.

We got back to my flat just after midnight.

It was almost 2am by the time I was ready to fall asleep. That would have given me four hour’s sleep, not a lot but something I’m not entirely unused to. David, however, was enervated by excess alcohol, sexual afterglow, a need to tell me how lovely I am (I kid you not!) and a need to caress me all over. Yes, I know, that sort of combination should be a recipe for rapid sleep but it seemed to keep him awake.

The light went off at 2.30.

I’m usually very happy to cuddle up close but I was starting to get anxious about how many hours left I had for sleeping. Having his arm under my neck and his hot body drawn up close to my back was not going to help me fall asleep quickly. Despite my not responding at all, he kept saying things to me. I could feel the anxiety levels rising. I also knew that he’d be snoring before long.

I was right.

For the next hour, I had some very vivid dreams that blended into each other each despite the many moments when I was obviously awake. D’s arm was still underneath me, he was still too close to me and his heavy breathing and intermittent snoring were still too loud.

I moved to the couch.

The vivid dreams broken by regular waking periods continued. At times, I’d be aware of a change in his breathing and expected him to walk into the sitting room and ask me why I wasn’t in bed with him. Fortunately, he didn’t.

I was fully awake at 5.30. In the shower at 6. Climbing into my lift’s car at 6.30.

For someone who probably didn’t have much more than two hour’s sleep last night, all of it interrupted by frequent waking moments, I’m strangely alert. Thank God that some sense prevailed last night and I only had three pints even though I was tempted to go for another with Mike at The Central.


Incidentally, it was Mike who pointed me in the direction of that excellent post by Religious Policeman.

4 Comments:

Blogger xmichra said...

sometimes you just need some space to ge ta good night sleep. Don't feel too badly ;)

Pints of beer always land me in trouble.. and thankfully It has been with my husband!!

11:52 pm  
Blogger Rob7534 said...

Nomad, what have we learned from this?

We learned that we will NOT learn from our mistakes. That instead, we will always respond in a specific way to a certain stimuli.

You knew exactly what would happen, but you did it anyway despite your better judgement. Just like the countless times you did it before!

Sometimes I LOVE Freud :) Heehee!

7:13 am  
Blogger BUDDESS said...

Just a thought - did you see that Muslims had protest marches in Cape Town yesterday - because of said cartoons!!!

8:56 am  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

After that night of hardly any sleep I had another of not much more even though I was on my own. At least I had about 6 hours last night so today wasn't completely zombie-like.

buddess: I read about it on the M&G website. I can safely say thank God, I'm not a Muslim.

5:56 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home