Friday, February 10, 2006

Bizarre baubles

A few weeks ago, I read about a couple who are cementing their union by swapping bits of bone. Each will have a bit of bone from the other grafted on to their jawbone.

Apparently this will bring them closer together.

serenity broochYesterday's Metro magazine carried a short piece about a woman who is having her mother’s ashes turned into jewellery (*). For her, an urn on the mantelpiece isn’t as worthy a way of remembering her dearly departed.

Apparently mother’s ashes in some jewellery will keep them forever close together.

Bizarre? Yes, I think so. Well, maybe not bizarre but definitely weird. Definitely not as bizarre as the brooch I saw as a child.

(*) for those of you who haven't realised this by now, it's always a good idea to click on the pics - you may be nicely surprised.

13 Comments:

Blogger Frog with a Blog said...

I kinda like the idea actually.

Do you realize, thanks to your new cool map, that you DO have a reader in Ghana!?

4:37 pm  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

You would like the idea!! :-)

I wonder if it is a reader there and not Fel in Maputo? I know that Maputo is showing but I think it's a stray reader using another ISP.

5:45 pm  
Blogger Memphis Steve said...

Bone grafts?!

You know, it used to be that marriage was sufficient.

7:43 pm  
Blogger jjd said...

Oscar came to me with this idea about two years ago: saying he wants to be pressed into diamonds if he dies, or alternatively, to press me or his mom into diamonds and wear them should we go first.

creepy. but sweet. and creepy.

8:06 pm  
Blogger xmichra said...

I think it is going too far with the bone grafts. That's just whacked.

And the jewlery thing I get.. but *EWWW*. No way I would be wearing some dead dude around my neck for eternity... ICK.

10:03 pm  
Blogger Guyana-Gyal said...

What happens if the jewellery [your mum, dad, sis, bro...] gets stolen? Are spare parts kept to make more?

Can they really make jewels from dead bods? I mean, I read that they do, but I am always so skeptical, sheese.

1:29 pm  
Blogger Guyana-Gyal said...

I wonder whose ashes / bod they used for the ads...

1:32 pm  
Blogger LiVEwiRe said...

Bone grafts? Uh, no thanks. I don't have the desire to be that close to anyone. Unless of course it's for medical purposes. And I think it would be creepy to be wearing a family member in any form. And having sex. Or something. But maybe that's just me.

5:24 am  
Blogger kyknoord said...

Call me old-fashioned, but I think I'll stick to photos.

10:37 am  
Blogger Gordon said...

Blimey. Don't see the bone grafts catching on in the UK. It's a bit TOO personal - this is a country where a sign of deep devotion is the occasional glance or [shock horror] holding hands!

And in today's Metro it was a mother getting her deceased daughter compressed into a diamond. Still doesn't make it any less creepy IMO.

12:33 pm  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

You readers are terrible - I give you a 'cliff-hanger' and none of you take the bait and ask to read more.

Oh well, nevermind, I've posted more anyway.

2:20 pm  
Blogger Guyana-Gyal said...

I think the dead body thing freaked us a bit. We knew you'd tell us ;-D

12:55 pm  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

Am I THAT predictable? Mmmm...yes, I probably am.

1:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home