Thursday, December 15, 2005

For all you werewolves out there

full moonIt's full moon tonight. Not only is it full moon, but it's a rather special one.

The December full moon is known for mimicking the path of the sun in June. The June sun travels its northernmost path across the sky during the day. Likewise, the full moon in December is, generally, the northernmost full moon of the year. That means the December full moon rides high tonight as seen from the northern hemisphere, and low as seen from the southern hemisphere.

Tonight's full moon will be travelling across the sky on an even more northern path than usual. It's the northernmost full moon until December of the year 2023. That's because we're entering into what's called a major lunar standstill cycle, a cycle that repeats every 18.6 years. A lunar standstill is similar to a solstice, when the sun travels its most northern or southern path.

Because it's near a major lunar standstill, the moon in 2006 will go farther north and south each month than the sun ever does.

Exciting stuff, don't you think? Just remember to hide when you hear wailing later tonight.

Read more here.

14 Comments:

Blogger andrea said...

Interesting. I've been watching the moon the past couple of nights due to its intense clarity.

3:10 pm  
Blogger rhino75 said...

THAT'S why I'm feeling like this - it's all becoming clear...

8:30 pm  
Blogger LiVEwiRe said...

Interestingly, the new moon seems to make my life a bit more strange. Then again, sometimes it's hard to tell. When I read things like this I wonder how it came about that people decided to keep track over such long periods of time? Ah, no internet for entertainment...

9:00 pm  
Blogger primary0 said...

been to the maldives?

7:36 pm  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

livewire: you are strange full stop - it has nothing to do with the full moon!

primary: i grew up in Mozambique, not that far from the Maldives, geographically, but to answer your question: 'No'. Would love to go, though.

8:05 pm  
Blogger LiVEwiRe said...

lol... ya think? ;)

1:04 am  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

you drive me wild when you wink at me like that, livewire! Even more so that I know you own some new boots.

6:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is a great photo, wish i could get a decent one once in a while (once every blue moon would do).

Detlef
http://www.detlefjumpertz.com

8:34 am  
Blogger Rob7534 said...

I'll share a secret with you Nomad!

If I don't shave/pluck my eyebrows, I would have something of a "unibrow" and that is a tell tale sign of someone who is CURSED by the moon!

A full moon always make me feel a bit more "frisky" and "prowel-ish" is you know what I mean!

10:50 am  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

rob, where are you when i need you? ;-)

12:09 pm  
Blogger Guyana-Gyal said...

If you sleep in the light of the full moon, it will twist your face. Or so I've heard. I ain't testing it. Pull them curtains shut!!

2:20 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this full moon makes me want to have sex all night long!!!

8:40 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

anybody want to have a hot and sex-hungry girl in their bed because i am dying to get frisky get what i am saying rob7534 want to have sex for a few days because i got some big boobs and a hony vigina and i havent had any action in a long time so wanna strip me so we can have us some sex.

8:46 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Three words lady. Get. A. Life.

11:08 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home