Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Am I fickle or just hypocritical?

retro ashtray
Lest I get accused of being an outsourcee again, I won’t tell you whom I had dinner and a few drinks with last night. On the way back to my flat I stopped for a drink at the Lord Roberts. Before long, A arrived, he who very kindly gave me an ashtray the other day. It may have been stolen from somewhere but it’s the thought that counts, right? It’s the first ashtray I’ve owned since moving into the flat in April.

For the first few months I used a lemon squeezer. No, I didn’t use it for squeezing lemons once it became an ashtray. I chucked it out when I left there in August for the wilds of Surrey so on returning in October, I had to resort to something else. Since then, until Monday this week, I’ve been using a saucer. All very sordid and just the sort of thing a straight bachelor would do.

While chatting to A, I noticed the cute Macedonian who’s been catching my eye for weeks now. Although D accused him of having the style of a typical Eastern European that hasn’t, for me, downgraded his cuteness factor. We’ve only really had one long conversation before and that was on Saturday night at the club so we’ve done more than just catch each other’s eyes. He came up to me last night and ‘accused’ me of being interesting (mois?) and suggested I join him and his friend at their table. Later we were joined by a Geordie who’d been loitering in the toilet. The conversation roamed everywhere including the non-fact that we’re descended from chimpanzees. Just before I left, Macedonian and Geordie went off to the toilet and I later discovered that there was a very specific reason for their going together. And it had nothing to do with powdering of noses!

You’d be wrong in thinking me a prude and you have every right to think that I may be rather hypocritical but I’ve gone off him now.

Well, that ‘romance’ didn’t last long!

8 Comments:

Blogger Christopher said...

Both!

But not at the same time, much like the rest of us.

Now stop looking for 'romance' in pubs & clubs.

6:44 pm  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

But that's where I find all my 'romance'!

7:54 pm  
Blogger dom said...

My nan used to have an ashtray like that in the 70's LOL.
Anyway what's wrong with a saucer ?
I bookmarked you , thanks for the visit, shame You're from just down the road and somewhere not exotic like Guyana :)

9:03 pm  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

Actually, I am from somewhere exotic just that I'm not there now. The exotic place being Mozambique.

You also use saucers? :-)

9:50 pm  
Blogger Rob7534 said...

Poor Nomad...

I wouldn't call you a prude, or fickle, but perhaps you're not very assertive or quick to get what you want. Maybe you aren't really sure WHAT you want? :)

It should have been YOU with that Macedonian in the bathroom! Why didn't you go there with him FIRST? OR even why didn't you follow them both in there?

You should have recognized that Geordie was a shady bloke from the START, never trust those who loiter in the toilet, in a Gay Bar no less!

Next time you see a guy & want to Bump Uglies with, don't let some shifty third wheel join in recently from the toilet, and don't hang around the Bar until closing. Take him home immediately, proced with the mind-blowing, sweaty, viking-like sex, remember to forget to write down his phone number afterward, change your sheets & cell number, then move on the next guy!

I could never spell Mozambique.

7:17 am  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

No, no, Rob, don't feel sorry for me! While there have been several occasions when I've indulged in such behaviour in a public bar, it's just not really my thing - I'm not prudish about it but it's just not me. So, when I discovered that Mr Cute was up to it, that helped put me off him. I can assure you that there wasn't even one twinge of envy or sense of regret/loss.

However, I know that Mr Cute fancies me so, no doubt, I'll get my chance - it will just happen somewhere more pleasant! ;-)

As regards Mozambique, I usually spell it Mocambique (with a little 'tail' under the 'c') which is the Portuguese way of spelling it.

9:12 am  
Blogger Rob7534 said...

AH!!

When you finally get to taste "Mr. Cute" be sure to take lots of photos! I wanna see too!

Tell us, what is your fasination w/Portugal? First the Sausage, now the spelling... I think there's a story there :)

Do Tell.

11:52 am  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

If I still want to taste him and it happens, I'll definitely let you know. In the meantime, I have a rather funny story that happened last weekend...must blog about it.

I am a Lusophile, which means I like things Portuguese. That comes from being born and bred in Mozambique which was a Portuguese colony. See, if you knew your African colonial history, you'd have worked that out! :-)

4:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home