Friday, November 11, 2005

Kinky Boots

Chiwetel Ejofor as Lola in Kinky BootsKinky Boots it was to be. And I’m pleased I saw it, not just because I saw it in Northampton which is a plus, but because I enjoyed it and had a smile on my face all the way from the cinema back to my bed where I’m writing this now.

It’s yet another British film in the mould of ‘The Full Monty’ (loved it) and ‘Calendar Girls’ (not seen it) and is a formulaic exercise (paint by numbers) of portraying how employing something unconventional in the face of adversity leads to triumph at the end of a bumpy road. So what? Sure, it makes for a predictable film but it‘s done well and succeeds as a feel-good comedy.

You could argue that since it’s based on a true story of how the owner of a failing shoe factory comes across a drag queen who inspires him to turn his production away from traditional well-crafted shoes to fabulous boots designed to withstand the weight of men as opposed to women, it could have been made with a deeper sense of social commentary (*). Achieving that while retaining its sense of fun and ‘feel-goodness’ would have produced a gem.

On leaving the cinema, my biggest regret was that while Northampton may have produced those fabulous boots worn by strutting, bitchy, over-made-up drag queens, there is no place here where you’d see them being worn.

It reminded me of George’s Bar and how much I regret its demise.

Go here for the real story behind Kinky Boots.
My first impression of George's Bar.


(*) update: quite a bit of artistic license has been applied to the true story

3 Comments:

Blogger JP said...

Will try and see it today. Your links are back to front honey.

10:29 am  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

Thanks for pointing that out, will put them in the right order. Enjoy the film

2:28 pm  
Blogger kyknoord said...

Artistic license is par for the course. True stories are either too bland or too weird for entertaining cinema.

11:08 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home