Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Twenty Random Things

How random can thinking 20 random things of me be? In the first place, I’m influenced by having read 20 random things about others. And, secondly, I’m biased towards the more eccentric and ‘interesting’ things about my life. Even if I happened to be the most boring person on the planet, I’d rather you thought I was fascinating and a judicious choice of ‘random’ things would help create that impression. I did say ‘judicious choice’ not lies!

Anyway, here goes:

  1. I love hot, spicy foods yet I don’t like hot mustard; I love most cheeses including the ‘smelly’ ones but I don’t like the ‘blue-veined’ types.
  2. When I was 10, I wanted to be called Gavin as I had a crush on a boy of that name.
  3. When I was 6, I only invited one girl to my birthday party as I had a crush on her. She didn’t come.
  4. I prefer thin, narrow ties to the wider sort. This has nothing to do with fashion. In the seventies and eighties, when wide ties were fashionable, I sought out narrow ones from charity shops. When they came back into fashion, I bought them from regular outlets. If work still required that I wear a tie, I’d still be wearing them even though they are unfashionable again.
  5. As a child, I was thrown off a horse and cracked my head open on a stable wall. I wore a large metal ‘staple’ in my skull for months afterwards.
  6. I don’t have a thing for redheads yet my wife, both children and ex boyfriend of 7 years (first proper boyfriend) are all redheads.
  7. My favourite ice cream flavour is vanilla.
  8. Enid Blyton taught me to read Portuguese – when I ran out of English ‘Famous Five’ novels I borrowed Portuguese translations of those I had not read from my Portuguese-speaking friends.
  9. I lost one sort of virginity at 11.
  10. I lost another sort at 16.
  11. I only realised I was South African when I was 27. Until then I had thought of myself as Mozambiquan or British. It took moving to live in the UK for me to realise that I’m South African.
  12. I can’t really sympathise with death. If friends suffer the death of someone close, I go through the right motions and make the right noises but I don’t actually feel anything emotionally. This must have something to do with my losing many loved ones when very young.
  13. I seriously despise bigots, authoritarians, self-importance, and snobs, yet have snobbish tendencies of my own.
  14. In grade 2 I was seriously reprimanded for calling a mixed race classmate the k-word yet my neighbours and best friends were mixed race.
  15. When I was 6, a friend’s mother contacted my mother to say that I’d stolen Kool-Aid from their kitchen. I was horribly embarrassed. In my late teens, I stole money from a friend and felt justified by the fact that I had next to no money and he did.
  16. I was head boy of my primary school – there were only 4 boys in the senior class; I was a hostel prefect at high school yet often sided with the other pupils against the teachers one of whom once referred to me as a Satanist because I listened to Black Sabbath.
  17. I went through a very religious (Christian) phase at 13 but turned towards psychology and Eastern religions a year later. I abandoned all that in my late teens.
  18. With a great deal of concentration, I could probably still get both my legs around my neck. I am, however, still supple enough to…
  19. Thinking about my children and the fact that I don’t see them often will often bring me to tears.
  20. Up until 30, I was rather skinny. Although I’m not fat (but I’m fatter than slim), I still feel like a thin person.

    Hey, this gets easier and easier after a while! Because I’m limited to 20, I’m now tempted to replace some of the random things with more ‘interesting’ ones. No, I haven’t!

    Buddess, of the 9 ½ toes, tagged me with this task, the cow! For the time being, I’ll not be tagging anyone. This may change in the next day or so.

20 Comments:

Blogger LiVEwiRe said...

And I'm yet another redhead... =) Unfortunately I don't get #14 but I'm thinking this is a regional thing. Again with the regional thing - interesting to think that you opted to not consider yourself SA, may I ask if there was a particular reason? These are very interesting!

3:34 am  
Blogger ChittyChittyBangBang! said...

And he posted!
#2, #15 & #16 had me laughing. I can identify with #12 because I do the exact same thing. I am completely devoid of emotions when it comes to death.
You are indeed a strange person, but that should come as no surprise at all.

7:15 am  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

Livewire: 'You are a redhead,' he says sidling up closer and smirking lasciviously. The 'k-word' is 'kaffir', a very derogatory South African word for black person. Use of it these days can get one accused/tried for 'hate speech'.

The reason for not thinking myself South African is that I was born in bred in Mozambique, a Portuguese colony, of a British father (also born in Moz) and a South African mother. For some reason or other, my family considered itself more British than South African. My first passport was Portuguese but I 've had a British one since I was 12 when I first went to school in South Africa. From 17 I was permanently in South Africa until I left to live in the UK for 3.5 years when I was 27. I only became a South African citizen in 1992 (I think it was) after I'd returned to S Africa to be eligible to vote in the referendum. I got my first South African passport in 2000. Phew, what a marathon answer so far! It took my move to the UK when I was 27 for me to fully realise that I was South African even though I was still not a citizen by then. I hope that have explained myself?

Chitty: Strange person? Stranger than others? Maybe. :-) Thank God I had to stop at 20, you'd have thought be downright weird!

9:28 am  
Blogger ChittyChittyBangBang! said...

I already think you are 'downright" weird... well definately more than I am.
Lucy/LW: one could say that the word "kaffir" is seen in the same light as the American term "nigger".
[Alan, I see Coraline is now an animated movie]

10:49 am  
Blogger BUDDESS said...

There's a good boy!!! Moooooooo!!
I found your answers very interesting btw. Glad you accepted the tag.

12:43 pm  
Blogger BUDDESS said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:43 pm  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

chitty: so, have you finished reading Coraline yet? I'd be interested in seeing the movie. Btw, tried to post a comment on your blog earlier but the comment thingy doesn't seem to be working.

buddess: do you agree with Chitty's verdict now that you've read them?

I wonder who deleted their post?

1:00 pm  
Blogger ChittyChittyBangBang! said...

You left me no choice. I had to finish reading it. You made me seem like a bloody retard! (I read it in one sitting).
Gavin... hehehe.
(Btw, haloscan comments are working again)

2:44 pm  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

I will have nothing of this Gavin stuff, thank you! Alan may be boring but Gavin is naff! 'Naff' - I've been in the UK too long!

3:19 pm  
Blogger portuguesa nova said...

What does the "head boy" do exactly?

3:24 pm  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

He wears a nice badge that says 'Head Boy'. Apart from that, he, along with the head girl in co-ed schools, is meant to lead/co-ordinate the other prefects and act as go-between between teachers and other prefects/pupils. Do US schools even have a prefect system? I think that it's being phased out in some (most?) S African schools.

I don't recall doing much apart from wear the badge.

4:27 pm  
Blogger ChittyChittyBangBang! said...

And "head boy" does not mean he gives head, either. Although dince this is Gavin's blog... ahem... I think I am digging myself into a hole. So, let me stop digging.

7:15 pm  
Blogger LiVEwiRe said...

Lol... better watch it, I might like your lascivious smirk! ;) As far as the Moz/ZA thing... it's amazing you don't have a fully identity crisis over that - it seems to be such an involved circuit of events! And for both you and Chitty - Ah, I see what you mean about the word. I don't use it. Well, I apparently did once when I was 4 (who knows where I heard it) and my mother reminds me of it to this day. Funny thing is that I'll swear at you until your jaw drops but I won't include words like that. I don't think they have a place... but swearing does, and it's loads of fun...lol.

4:08 am  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

Chitty is cruising for a brusing!

Livewire, how do they feel about the c-word in the US? It's considered really BAD here in the UK - I don't make a habit of using it but I've been told off for using it before even though I thought the context was right.

9:18 am  
Blogger kyknoord said...

Just curious. Did the fact that you can get both legs around your head have anything at all to do with losing either sorts of virginity?

10:54 am  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

kyknoord, I can see some sort of logic to that question, but the answer is no!

11:18 am  
Blogger LiVEwiRe said...

C-word? Hmmm... if you are referring to one in the sense of a female, you'll get slapped. But not by me because I personally don't care. If you are referring to another word for a particular race or group of people, sad thing is, nothing is standing out. This means one of two things; I have become desensitized or I live too deep in my cave. Hard to say, s'pose I'm funny that way. =)

3:22 am  
Blogger BUDDESS said...

Chitty said that you are weird. I don't think weird is the word I would use. I would go for interesting or I might even go as far as captivating. Actually, the more I read, the more curios I become. Does that make sense?

9:19 am  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

Livewire: I was referring to a party of the female anatomy! :-)

Buddess: You say the nicest things - of course it makes sense!!

10:56 am  
Blogger LiVEwiRe said...

Ok, yeah, I couldn't care less. Most females would knock your block off. Now, call me a Republican and you've got a real fight on your hands! ;)

2:40 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home