Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Stealing time from my first day at work

Yesterday morning I was feeling a bit sad about leaving my life of comfortable boredom in Surrey but by mid afternoon I was starting to really look forward to being one of the working class again. Later on, waiting at Clapham Junction, I felt even more chipper about everything. To the extent that I sent several friends a text message saying something to the effect of 'I'm feeling quite excited. Not sure why but it feels like an adventure.'

The train trip wasn't great - too many changes with too much luggage in tow. I arrived in Northampton just after 10pm and was at the hotel by 10.30. As suspected, it doesn't give the Savoy a run for its money but it'll do for a few days or weeks. It's not really a hotel, it's a real ale pub with a few rooms lurking at the back. My room is comfortable enough but sharing a bathroom won't be fun even though that may not be necessary as the place seems deserted apart from me. The worst aspect is the lack of a shower. This morning's bath was the first I've had in over2 years!

Not much is happening at work just yet - introductions, a few meetings and a load of reading matter. But, this unaccustomed sitting at a desk is proving rather tiring. At the moment, I'm totally at sea, with very little sign of light at the end of the tunnel. (Mixed metaphor alert!)

A colleague has invited me out for a meal and a drink later so I'm hoping to be filled out on the necessary office gossip right at the start for a change. Still not sure if I'll be going but I suspect I'll go.

1 Comments:

Blogger Miss Mish said...

Soory I missed you at the weekend!

Anyway, good luck and let us know all about it later.

9:33 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home