Sunday, October 02, 2005

I'll show you mine if you show me yours

The 'Guru of Nairn' aka Bill has challenged me to show me mine now that he's shown me his. And his certainly is a lovely piece of equipment so I feel that I need to rise to the challenge. However, I'm a bit constrained by technology, a lack of it in this case. I'm in a temporary abode and I don't have access to a camera apart from the crappy old webcam that's at the bottom of my suitcase. So, I'll see what I can do but be prepared for something you'd expect from an old man in a raincoat.

I do, though, have a more-or-less presentable pic of the desktop I use in Cape Town, a rather antiquated piece of equipment which demands to be replaced. Actually, when there, I tend to use this laptop - when I can get my kids off it. My wife has her own laptop that no one else is allowed to touch so the desktop is mostly used by the kids these days.

Cape Town desktopThis is the desktop, that venerable piece of equipment that was discussed in an earlier dispatch. My son, as usual, is playing games on it. Today's games demand ever increasing amounts of computing power so I'm used to this modern-day lament: 'Dad, we NEED a new computer!' Well, I've listened and I hope that I won't be hearing it for much longer. Not beyond Christmas to be exact.

Alan's laptopI'm surprised the webcam still works. It's old and been in the bottom of my peripatetic suitcase for years. The quality isn't that bad. But it's also not good enough to show you how dirty the keyboard and screen are. The basin in the background should give you an idea of how temporary my abode is at the moment. The abode will change as of tomorrow but it will be yet another temporary one, definitely not as comfortable as the current one.

Tomorrow is the day of the 'big move' to Northampton so that I can start work there on Tuesday. I'll be staying in a really cheap hotel for a few weeks until I find something more comfortable. It's very unlikely that I'll have an internet connection after hours unless I find an internet cafe nearby. My internet life is bound to be somewhat curtailed in the coming weeks, possibly just limited to breaks at work.

computer frustrationsWorking again after such a long break is going to seem quite strange, probably very tiring at first. I'm going to have to live by office hours, re-learn office etiquette, get to grips with a new working environment and possibly learn a whole lot of new skills. The weeks ahead could be rather trying and frustrating. So please beam lots of sympathetic thoughts my way.

When Bill first 'tagged' me with this task, I thought that I'd not be able to produce a decent picture without cheating in some way but a stray picture on my hard drive and my webcam seem to have saved the day.

Now, let's think whom I can challenge to show me theirs. I think Mike (Troubled Diva), Michelle (Drama Queen, Fag-hag, JAP ), Livewire ( In a Blink of an Eye) and ChittyChittyBangBang (Riding the Slipstream) are all more than capable of rising to the challenge.

Let's hope they do...

6 Comments:

Blogger Bill said...

Your pics are great, as is the narrative which accompanies them.

Good luck with your new job! :)

4:28 pm  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

Thanks, Bill, you say the nicest things! :-)

4:37 pm  
Blogger ChittyChittyBangBang! said...

I'd be only too happy to show you mine... hehe.
I promise it will be G rated.

9:16 am  
Blogger LiVEwiRe said...

I'm sick so just give me a few days to get away all the bottles of juice, tissues, Vicks, Sudafed, cough drops and cups of hot tea. Oh, and the germs... I don't want anyone seeing germs. And I can't guarantee I'll keep it G Rated like Chitty... but I'll show ya' mine nonetheless! =)

5:19 pm  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

Get better soon. Don't rush to show me yours as I may not be around for a few days while I settle in to the new job and the crappy hotel that I'll be staying at.

5:28 pm  
Anonymous Broderick Truex said...

Very nice. Keep up the good work.

5:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home