Friday, October 28, 2005

British or South African?

Is this a British blog or a South African one? Or is that too simplistic a question as it incorporates elements of both even though, arguably, it’s more South African than British? If my nationality helps answer the question then it would be both as I am a dual national.

This is hardly an important issue but it came to mind on noticing that today’s statistics showed more South African readers than others for the first time. Until now, South African readers have mostly been in third place, behind the Brits and Americans. I was also reminded of the fact that my application to join Britblog, the association of British bloggers, was rejected a few weeks ago. No specific reason was given but the standard rejection email I received stated that I failed to comply with their conditions. I’ve emailed them about this on two occasions but have not received a reply. So while the Home Office is happy to call me British, it appears that Britblog is not.

I wonder what my readers think?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Babz said...

I believe you're whatever you associate with... which means I could be classified an American blogger or a French blogger I guess... I'm not entirely sure, just average observation... :)

10:10 pm  
Blogger LiVEwiRe said...

Is this a British blog or a South African one? Um... who cares? I like it and that's why I'm here...so there, take that, now you are stuck with me. Now, the only reason I'd care is if you were in Antarctica... then I'd want info on your killer ISP! =)

For the record, I think the Brits are simply bitter because they have some really nasty food...

2:38 am  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

babz: I'm definitely South African even though I've held a British passport longer than a South African one. But, since I'm writing this while based in Britain, the blog itself as opposed to me, could be classified as British, I'd have said.

livewire: I'm stuck with you? You've been hanging around those leeches too long! :-) You do, however, say the nicest things so I'm more than happy to be stuck with you.

8:18 pm  
Blogger kyknoord said...

Maybe they reject all applications as a matter of course to weed out the easily cowed.

11:09 am  
Blogger ChittyChittyBangBang! said...

The content is British, but the perspetive is definately So African.
Who cares about the fekkin' Britblogs? You've got a bunch of loyal readers from alll over the world and that is all that counts, bru.

6:40 am  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

You're quite right, I shouldn't be giving them a second thought!

3:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home