Friday, September 16, 2005

So the N thing worked after all.

My heart was set on London and I was sure that I'd get it. But, it wasn't to be.

Northampton it is.

Great to be almost employed again but not so sure about the location. Friends have suggested I commute there from Nottingham, even if only temporarily, but the public transport links between the two cities aren't great. A train to Wellingborough, only 10 miles from Northampton, takes an hour from Nottingham. A train all the way almost takes 2.5 hours! If British Rail still existed, I'd be saying, 'Crazy British Rail!'

I could start on Monday but I'll most likely start on Wednesday.

7 Comments:

Blogger Niles said...

Hooray! Well done and good luck.

Northampton is not such a bad place, but it feels a great deal more Southern than Nottingham.

Public transport is awful because some Victorian nutcase decided he didn't want any of those nasty modern railways coming through his town, ta very much.

Wellingborough is quicker because it's on the mainline to London. Northampton's on some crazy branch line thingy.

5:55 pm  
Blogger JP said...

Buy a scooter!

5:56 pm  
Blogger Ben said...

Congratulations Alan! Hope you get yourself settled in Northampton fairly soon - even if you don't end up living in Nottingham, it'll not be too much hassle to return for the odd weekend.

6:28 pm  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

Thanks Niles and Ben.

JP, I wouldn't trust myself on a scooter with a hangover.

Niles, how on earth do you know that about the rail links?

12:52 am  
Blogger Niles said...

I've worked with some of Northampton's councillors who are just as frustrated by the fact!

PS, I thought this looked quite hopeful -- then I saw it was Northampton, Massachusetts...

10:13 am  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

Mmmm...yes, that did look rather hopeful. Seems like the US version of Northampton is a tad bigger and more 'sophisticated' than the UK version!

But, thanks for looking! :-)

2:16 pm  
Anonymous Oswin said...

For my part one and all must browse on this.
Levitra UK | levitra | akai berry

12:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home