Wednesday, September 28, 2005

The 'Referencing Saga' ends.

The bureaucratic nightmare that was the referencing process for the new job has ended! My references are all above board and the new employers are satisfied that I'm not a terrorist, a fraudster or a charlatan. Ideally, I should start tomorrow as the sooner I start earning money, the better.

But now it's my turn to delay.

Tomorrow, I have an interview in High Wycombe for a job that pays better. An agent contacted me about it after I'd decided on the Northampton job. I decided to go for it in case my references were inadequate and I was forced to look for work elsewhere. It would be silly not to go for it even though now it's ok to make plans for moving to Northampton.

But, there's more to add to my state of confusion.

In the past few weeks, I've had two telephone interviews to work for a consultancy in Jo'burg. I had a short, third one today. More of a formality than anything else. The agent expects me to get an offer tomorrow.

Now, I really want to go back to South Africa, preferably Cape Town, but anywhere will do. This seems like such a perfect opportunity but it isn't right now. I've built up a huge mountain of debt since being unemployed and earning pounds would rectify that situation a lot quicker than earning rands. Ideally, I'd like the Jo'burg position offered to me after 6 months of working here. Even three months of working here would make a huge difference. Although they would want me to start very soon they don't expect me to be there within weeks but I'm sure that they don't expect it to be too many months away.

I really wish this hadn't come along to confuse me like this!

11 Comments:

Blogger mike said...

DOOOOOON'T GOOOOOOOO!

I mean: Goodness, what an awkward predicament. :-)

5:04 pm  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

A predicament indeed! But, it's safe to say that I'll be around for at least two months if I were to go to S Africa.

It seems as if I've got over my blogstipation!

5:28 pm  
Blogger portuguesa nova said...

Feast or famine!!

7:27 pm  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

I'm usually quite partial to feasts. Less so this time!

11:11 pm  
Blogger LiVEwiRe said...

Congrats on the interview, but now the confusion. So they now know you aren't a terrorist or such, but... do they know you're a {looks left...looks right} blogger?! If you want to send someone to CapeTown in your place, I'll volunteer.

2:30 am  
Blogger portuguesa nova said...

PS--searching for your e-mail on the Portuguese blog in English but can't find it anywhere!

3:23 am  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

livewire: It appears that they don't check for that affliction just yet - they may catch up soon. Unfortunately, the SA job will be Jo'burg-based so it won't be a straightforward matter to swap places with you if you want to go to Cape Town.

PN: let me check and get back to you.

10:09 am  
Blogger kyknoord said...

You do know that Cape Town is full of weirdos, don't you?

11:31 am  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

I do indeed - it's where I've spent most of my life. But, you make it sound as if a place full of weirdos is a bad thing?

11:36 am  
Blogger Ben said...

Sounds like life's rather complicated at the moment! Best wishes whatever you decide, but if you're off to South Africa any time soon then I hope we get the chance to meet up again beforehand.

1:25 pm  
Blogger LiVEwiRe said...

Weirdos.... silly ones... I hear it calling me....lol

5:22 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home