Thursday, September 15, 2005

One Pot Goulash

In the car, off to catch the train to my interview this morning, L instructed, I mean requested, that I make dinner tonight. I readily agreed and asked if she had something in mind.

The WeightWatcher's recipe book was open on 'One Pot Goulash' when I got home. D had already bought the necessary ingredients including some really nice-looking braising steak from the excellent butchery in Brockham.

1 tsp caraway seeds
300 g new potatoes
low fat cooking spray - WHAT??
250 g lean braising steak, cubed
1 large onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed - WHAT??
1 red pepper, de-seeded and cut into chunks
1/4 tsp hot smoked paprika - WHAT??
400 g canned chopped tomatoes
1 beef stock cube, dissolved in 100 ml boiling water
1 tblsp chopped fresh dill
2 tblsp low fat natural yoghurt
salt and freshly ground pepper

I won't bore you with the details on how to make it but what on earth is the point of cooking if you're going to cut out the oil, use negligible amounts of garlic (and spices) and concentrate on low fat ingredients?

I like cooking when I'm cooking for others and, apparently, I'm good at it. In Nottingham, I hardly ever cooked simply because I had no one else to cook for and I lived on a diet of chips, fags, coffee and beer. So, when I do get the chance to cook, or when asked to, I like to put some passion into the effort. That sort of cooking is passion-less - it's a waste of time and good ingredients.

What the fuck is the point, I ask?

3 Comments:

Blogger JP said...

It's gods way of telling you to get a job honey :-)

6:32 pm  
Blogger Miss Mish said...

That's what wives do darling. They stay home and do what the breadwinner says.....

4:39 pm  
Anonymous Jae Hammar said...

There are a few books on the subject, some very

2:17 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home