Saturday, September 24, 2005

Autumn, the best season of all

oak leaves in autumnIt's been over a week since I've left the house.

I went into Reigate with L to go to the bank then got picked up by D who took me to Crawley. The drive back from Crawley took us through some typically English leafy lanes and wooded areas. Some of the trees look really spectacular now that their autumn colours have taken hold. I didn't get to see much of the countryside last year so I can't compare this year's colours with last year's. But they do seem more vivid and vibrant than I recall from previous autumns.

Apparently, climate change in the UK is 'creating the perfect conditions for a kaleidoscope of seasonal colour to rival the famous hues of north-east America. This autumn is already predicted to be the most colourful in living memory.' The unusually warm, dry weather in the run-up to autumn has increased the sugar concentration in the leaves, boosting the intensity of their colours.

I've always loved autumn even though it means winter's just around the corner. Seems like autumns are going to be getting even better.

2 Comments:

Blogger LiVEwiRe said...

Wonder if we'll have the same boost of color this year? I'm still dreading what comes after, though. In your travels, have you found the perfect temperate climate? If so, please feel free to pass that information on to me.

6:40 pm  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

In terms of places where I've spent enough time to know the seasons well, I'd have to say Cape Town or Johannesburg.

Jo'burgers (and others in S Africa) will disagree with the choice of CT as the wet winters get them down but I grew to like them even though I didn't when I first moved there.

Jo'burg has a great climate and the warm sunny days in winter are great but everything turns depressingly brown.

1:28 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home