Wednesday, August 31, 2005

What's in a name?

It's all very well being given the luxury of choosing your own name but it's far less angst-ridden if, like at birth, you are given one by someone else. You know, like by your parents. I know that some of us grow up hating our names but not many of us actually go to the effort of changing them. After a while, you seem to grow into your name(s) and no one can think of you as being called by anything else. Yes, I know that various expletives can be flung your way and sometimes they stick but I'd like to think that those are much less permanent and, anyway, not everyone (I hope) thinks of you in terms of those expletives. I suppose you could ask someone else to choose your blog-name but that would be a bit like asking someone to name your child or pet - yes, a little bit weird. Well, if not just plain weird, certainly not a good indicator of any form of self-confidence and/or originality.

Choosing a blog-name is a bit like choosing a nickname and absolutely nobody does that - a self-chosen nickname would never work! So, if choosing a nickname won't work, why will choosing a blog-name work? Ok, I think I may be mulling over this just a tad too much but you are probably getting the idea that, for me, choosing a blog-name can be a bit fraught.

Does it suit me?
Do I suit it?
Will I always suit it?
Is there a better name?
Is there someone else out there called by this name?
Does it show a singular lack of imagination?
Etc, etc, etc.

Having registered this blog-name over a year ago and having thought about it from time to time, I should almost be used to thinking of myself as the Reluctant Nomad. But, it's only now that the name is really out in the public domain that I will have to start identifying with it properly. The name does suit me and my circumstances so it's not as if I've suddenly decided to arrive at my next job calling myself Cecil Onanism de Montezuma or something equally unlikely. But, I can't help thinking that there may be other names that are better suited to me. 'Head in the Sand' springs to mind or something similar, like 'Ruminations of an Ostrich'. Other names, probably even less flattering, like 'When does this Mid-life Crisis End?' are also hovering in the background. I'm sure that I could think of lots more - I just won't bore you with them right now.

Yes, yes, I know, before long, this identity crisis will be long-forgotten and I will become a fine upstanding member of the blogging world (blogosphere?), proud of my chosen name. But, it does sort of sound/feel a bit like Troubled Diva, don't you think? Mike's troubled, I'm reluctant, he's a Diva, I'm a nomad. I wonder if I copied him? It must have been subconscious. Well, if I did copy him, I hope it was subconscious, I really do - outright plaigarism is like daylight theft. Not good, not good at all. But, how will I know if I copied him or not, subconsciously or otherwise? I don't worry about all the taxes I owe (see reference to 'Head in the Sand' above) nor do I worry about the trail of broken hearts left in Nottingham. So, why am I worrying about this?

I hope that I sleep tonight. I hope that I will get used to this name.

2 Comments:

Blogger JP said...

I like Cecil!

8:43 am  
Blogger mike said...

Oh, I can't claim a copyright on [adjective + noun] = [blog-name].

However, I'm glad you didn't go for anything with the word "ruminations" in it. Far too much of that sort of thing already!

2:13 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home