Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Once upon a time....

....I was blissfully unaware of the world of blogging. Well, I wasn't totally unaware of it as I'd read an article on blogging a few years prior to my actually meeting a real live blogger but I'd not paid it much attention. Meeting Mike, he of Troubled Diva, that first real blogger, introduced me to yet another fix, the pastime of blog-reading, skipping from one blog to another, and forever expanding the number of blogs I tend to visit on a regular basis. So, there were a few years of innocence before getting caught up in the addiction, a bit like the years in between hearing about dope and actually starting to use it.

Now, depending on your views on addiction, Troublesome Diva has to be regarded as one of the best introductions one could have to blogging. The long boring days at the office were now alleviated by reading Mike's blog, other blogs and blog-jumping - I started neglecting all those important personal emails and phonecalls, let alone the more boring stuff like actual work. I was hooked! But, at that stage, not hooked enough to actually want to start my own blog. That only happened months later, again, as the result of Mike's equivalent of handing out 'sweeties' at the school gates. He went on a few weeks holiday and asked a few 'local people' to guest on his blog.

A bit like now, starting to write on Troubled Diva was slightly daunting but I soon got into the swing of things and, before long, was having a whale of a time. Towards the end of my time as a guest-blogger, the rest of the guest-bloggers decided to meet up. Apart from Bob, a friend of Mike's, I'd not met any of the others before. In fact, Mike had not met any of them either, that is, besides Bob and myself. And so started a great friendship with Miss Mish, and a rather intimate relationship with the best bar in Nottingham, George's, a place that, sadly, no longer exists. I'll be sure to 'resurrect' George's in one of my posts as it was marvellous fun, a source of great amusement, eccentricity and many friendships.

Once Mike was back and the guesting ended, my writing outlet ended (you can't count dry accounts of how to migrate data as writing!) and, with the enthusiasm of the newly converted, I set up my own blog. One of my parting shots on Troubled Diva was a veiled threat that the world of blogging hadn't seen the last of me. Well, apart from setting up the site, that's what it remained, a veiled threat. It's taken over a year for me to actually post something, this being it. In between, I left Nottingham, spent a bit of time in Brussels and Southampton, a few months in Cape Town then landed up in Nottingham again. In the last few weeks prior to my leaving Nottingham last week, several drunken conversations with Mike and James aka Argy Bargey, got my mind thinking of Reluctant Nomad again. The current enforced 'sabbatical' in deepest, rural Surrey, ie London commuter belt, was the last straw - the veiled threat has become reality.

So, here it begins......

5 Comments:

Blogger mike said...

And not before time. Welcome, at last!

1:57 pm  
Blogger JP said...

Darling it's lovely. How you manage to please so many so quickly...it's as if you were still here.

2:01 pm  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

Mike, you may live to regret that welcome. But, whether you do or not, it's all your fault!!

jp, I try my very best and, this time, it seems to have worked

5:43 pm  
Blogger JP said...

Oh no, you're answering your comments! Is that how it's done? Will I have to give up work to make time for all this? Am I going to waste good blogging material on comments?!?!?!!

I'm going to go and have a lie down.

8:44 am  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

Once I become fabulously famous and impossibly popular, I won't have time to answer all the comments. Occasionally, I'll deign to answer one or two, those deserving of attention, you know.

But, in these early days of this blog, receiving a comment is quite an earth-shattering event and so I must comment on the comments.

Also, it gives me something to do!

9:17 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home